Misc Customisation questions

wolfx

n00b modeller here wanting some advice. I want to clean my 1/48 valk from some residual gundam marker black marks which I can't reach with an eraser. What solution would you recommend? I've heard people used "thinner". Now, its to my understanding that thinner corrodes plastic....or am I wrong here?

I also want to remove the VF-1S head so I can panel line it easily. Is it easily removable by just unscrewing the head from the bottom of the black flip panel that the head rests on?

Lastly, I was thinking of weathering the valk. An interesting and seemingly easy method I came across was, use a Q-tip and some thinner+water solution (again I ask is it safe to use thinner...) , and use a Q-tip dip it in the solution and swab it on the panel lines and let the black ink bleed to the sides. Are there any other recommended ways of weathering?

-"thinner" usually refers to paint thinner/varsol/turpentine, you're correct that this is strong stuff, and should be used minimally and carefully. First try rubbing alchohol or windex first to see if that removes the gundam marker. If you penned it recently the alchohol or windex should work.

-yep just unscrew it from the neck mount

-again avoid the "thinner", if you want an easy method that looks good, get yourself a bottle of acrylic paint (black, brown, grey etc..). Thin this to a ratio of around 1:1 wtih rubbing alchohol or windex. Brush this onto the panel lines or recesses, (works great inside the landing gear compartments). You don't need to be careful, you can "overpaint". Let this dry for (hour or overnight). Than use rags or q-tips soaked with some rubbing alchohol or windex and wipe. Wipe in the direction as if the plane were flying through the air.

From people's customs, i realise that they customise their pilot's hands. How do you move them hands? I manage to pluck one of them out...but I can't imagine how i'm gonna glue them back, repositioned.

-again avoid the "thinner", if you want an easy method that looks good, get yourself a bottle of acrylic paint (black, brown, grey etc..). Thin this to a ratio of around 1:1 wtih rubbing alchohol or windex. Brush this onto the panel lines or recesses, (works great inside the landing gear compartments). You don't need to be careful, you can "overpaint". Let this dry for (hour or overnight). Than use rags or q-tips soaked with some rubbing alchohol or windex and wipe. Wipe in the direction as if the plane were flying through the air.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I wanted to clarify about this: The alcohol/acrylic is for making a panel line wash, right?

And will this damage already laid down Acrylic paint?

Maybe I'm just being dense, but I wanted to clarify about this: The alcohol/acrylic is for making a panel line wash, right?

And will this damage already laid down Acrylic paint?

Whatever you're using to wash, make sure it's a DIFFERENT type of paint from the base coat.

If you painted with acrylics, wash with enamels. If you painted with enamels, coat it with acrylic base coat (Future, for example) before washing with enamels.

Alcohol dissolves acrylics, so washing acrylics with acrylics is just asking for headaches.

yes I was refering to a wash on bare plastic. Acrylics are easy to use, it wipes off cleanly and easily, that's why I mentioned you can "overpaint". The rubbing alchohol or windex, are weak solvents, they shouldn't damage the plastic.

From people's customs, i realise that they customise their pilot's hands. How do you move them hands? I manage to pluck one of them out...but I can't imagine how i'm gonna glue them back, repositioned.

For the older plastic pilots I cut the sections apart and repositioned, using putty to fill in the gaps.

For the newer rubbery pilot, I just cut slits and repositioned, again putty to fill in the gaps.