MACROSS 7 ultimate question

khyronic

Huh. Well, I'll give it a go. Mind you, a good bit of this is opinion. I have the FX set, an HK bootleg, that includes all of these:

Macross 7 (TV series and Encore)

Animation - Low budget, but consistent and fairly well drawn

Music - BOMBAH!

Subtitling - Depends on which version you watch. There's a fansub being made that apparently has really good subtitles. The FX HK Bootleg version I have has decent subtitles as far as bootlegs go, but it's still not great. Names are usually right, except minor characters. The dialogue is completely readable, just not very good english.

Overall Impression - Excellent character developement, wonderful characters. The story is intruiging at times, but it seems that the writers kept most of their attention on developing the characters. The war story aspect is minor in comparison. Action is nearly non-existant, as what action there is is often the worst animation in the show, with lots of reused footage. It almost seems like shojou Macross. I like it, though. Very upbeat story, wonderful character developement, a lot of great ship and mecha designs, even if they don't show them off with anything resembling great battle footage.

Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling me

Animation - From what I recall, not much better than the tv series, except that the action/battle scenes are much, much, much better animated with no reused footage.

Music - BOMBAH!

Subtitles - See above.

Overall Impression - I didn't like the movie all that much until after I'd gotten into the tv series. It's not really very good as a stand alone movie, but it's a nice little extra for those that like the tv series.

Dynamite 7

Animation - Still a lot of use of still frames, but otherwise a lot better animated than the tv series Almost even Plus quality at times, but those are the money scenes. The rest of the OVA is well animated, not incredibly so, but not hard on the eyes. The action is nice. Bunch of nifty sequences, like seeing Gamlin showing off his VF-22 in Diamond Force colours.

Music - DYNAMITE!

Subtitles - Much like the tv series subtitles, except the main characters names are wrong...but at least they're consistently wrong.

Overall Impression - I love Dynamite 7. Great OVA. I actually find myself rewatching it more than I rewatch Plus. It maintains a lot of the aspects I like about M7, while not so much the things I don't like. Saying it's an OVA about space whales doesn't really do much justice, as the whales themselves are pulled off in a very nifty sort of way.

Fleet of the Strongest Women

Animation - Better than the rest of the series, maybe not so much as Dynamite. This single episode makes up for the lack of missle trails in the entire rest of the series.

Music - 'Do You Remember Love?'

Subtitles - See above.

Overall Impression - An excellent homage to oneof the greatest movies of all time, and the funniest episode in all of M7.

Macross 7 (TV series and Encore)

It almost seems like shojou Macross.

That's how I would characterize it. Not necessarily a bad thing. My main problem with M7 is the repeated use of music and stock footage. I've gone thru it once. So, if I want to watch it again, I stick with the last episodes, i.e. the last TV FX disc. BTW, I love the two encores, especially number 2: Millia's "sickness" episode.

Dynamite 7

Overall Impression  -  I love Dynamite 7. Great OVA. I actually find myself rewatching it more than I rewatch Plus.

Me too. I've actually found myself following asleep thru M+ sometimes. :unsure:

Fleet of the Strongest Women

Overall Impression - An excellent homage to oneof the greatest movies of all time, and the funniest episode in all of M7.

I agree on the former. But the latter is debatable, i.e. encore 2 is up there in the funny factor.