Recoloring 1/48's & 1/60's

1 VF-1 2NV

Ok. I need some pointers. I want to recolor my 1/60 roy strike into hikaru's stirke and a max strike. I also want to recolor my 1/48 hikaru vf-1a into a 1/48 kakizaki vf-1a.

Which paint will do the job? What tape do i need to mask off areas? Is it necessary to take apart the valk? etc, etc....

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
Ok. I need some pointers. I want to recolor my 1/60 roy strike into hikaru's stirke and a max strike. I also want to recolor my 1/48 hikaru vf-1a into a 1/48 kakizaki vf-1a.

Which paint will do the job? What tape do i need to mask off areas? Is it necessary to take apart the valk? etc, etc....

Thanks!

I was thinking of doing that. I am seeking advice as well but I see you got no replys. Actually I was going to take VF-1S head and paint as a max and attach it to the Max VF-1A. Then make a VF-1S body w/ max head into kakizaki vf-1a.

Anybody?

For a simple custom like changing the accent color (yellow to red, blue etc) I would just carefully mask off the parts of the valk you do not want to paint and use a good (and flat if possible) enamel paint from a spray can or if you are really careful, brush on. For both use multiple thin coats. For the heatsheild on the 1/48, I've (on all my customs) sanded off the paint starting with a 600 grit paper and worked up to 2000 grit, from there polish by hand with a compound, dip in future, add decal (skull or otherwise) future again, let dry for a few days and paint the backside only. Hope this helps.....

mike

For a simple custom like changing the accent color (yellow to red, blue etc) I would just carefully mask off the parts of the valk you do not want to paint and use a good (and flat if possible) enamel paint from a spray can or if you are really careful, brush on. For both use multiple thin coats. For the heatsheild on the 1/48, I've (on all my customs) sanded off the paint starting with a 600 grit paper and worked up to 2000 grit, from there polish by hand with a compound, dip in future, add decal (skull or otherwise) future again, let dry for a few days and paint the backside only. Hope this helps.....

mike

I assume testers paint is fine?

For those skilled with airbrushes, I believe that Testor's Model Masters Cobalt Blue is a very close match to the blue used on the 1/48 Max 1A and Intermediate Blue (available in a spray can) is a dead ringer for the Low Vis' accents. Can anyone post other close or exact color matches?

I don't know any exact codes, when i did my 1/60 kakasaki i just got a basic green and mixed it with flat white until i got the color i wanted. test it first because it may dry a bit different than the color it is when its wet.

Thanks mslz22. Now I will just need to get the VF-1S Hikaru from Kevin and try it out. But I have to find time to do this... :(