How many have actually seem Macross the series?

samuraid

I was wondering, how would I get a hold of the japanese Macross series?

Is there an English dub?

Not wanting to start anything, but I was watching an interview with Carl Macek and he spoke about the animation they did?

Was the animation redone for Robotech, or did they just splice together stuff to come up with the Macross portion of Robotech?

Edited by samuraid

I was wondering, how would I get a hold of the japanese Macross series?

Is there an English dub?

Not wanting to start anything, but I was watching an interview with Carl Macek and he spoke about the animation they did?

Was the animation redone for Robotech, or did they just splice together stuff to come up with the Macross pertion of Robotech?

1) Go to AnimEigo's website (www.animeigo.com), or visit your local video store. Or failing that, find a reputable Japanese distributor and prepare to pay through the nose for the Bandai Emotion box. Or find one of the very rare legit (NOT Anime International Inc., Anime Cartoon or FX Animation--they're bootlegs) VCD sets floating around the web.

2) No. Harmony Gold demanded that there be none so there wouldn't be competition with Robotech.

3) And?!? This ain't a complete question. :p

4) Somebody soon will probably put up the link for Leb's site (don't have it off the top of my head myself), but long story short, HG used the original footage, just splicing it together with a new story and animation from botrh Mospeada and Southern Cross.

BTW, this really belongs in the Newb thread.

Edited by Pat Payne

:unsure: So, I'm guessing that if there wasn't an english translation of the macross series, that most of the interest in Macross comes from the 'Do you Remember Love' movie?

How do people know about the differences between the Macross portion of Robotech and the Macross series in Japan?

Also, if anyone could give me the order of the macross animes, I'd certainly appreciate it- I recently picked up Macross Plus and it blew my mind, so I'm wanting to continue but need direction as to how it all fits together.

...and you're right, I should have put this in the newbee section.

Edited by samuraid

I didn't say that. There's no DUB of the Macross series. And much of the interest in the series in the US comes IIRC from three sources: 1) those of us who watched Robotech in the '80s, liked it and wanted to seek out the source material, 2) anime fans of the '90s who saw Macross Plus and wanted to see the show that inspired it, and 3) anime fans from way back who were able to score a copy of Macross or Macross DYRL back in the day.

As for people knowing that Robotech is distinct from Macross/Mospeada/SC, although HG didn't give credit to the individual creators (a big no-no, in my book), it was pretty much an open secret. HG themselves had even advertised a mail-order dub for Macross back in 1983-84, but that fell through to become you-know-what.

Edited by Pat Payne

The lure of syndication dollars was what drove Carl the butcher to hack the three shows together in the first place.

OMG :o *shudder*

Look what I just found Right Stuf has in stock. The bionoid movie! Even RT has a leg over this thing. I thought there were no more copies if this thing left in circulation. This was a horrid horrid horrid dub of DYRL. Haven't allowed myself to see it, never will with my DYRL DVD, but read all about the horror.

link

You can also pick up Animeigo's subtitled Macross boxes at Right Stuf's website.

Edited by Anubis