Takeshi's Castle (風雲!たけし城) is a Japanese game show that aired from 1986 to 1990, and is one of the pioneers of the extreme Japanese game show phenomenon. In the show, hundreds of contestants storm through various obstacle courses for a chance to defeat Takeshi Kitano (Mr. Kitano in Battle Royale, Takahashi in Johnny Mnemonic) and win a million yen (somewhere around US$8,000). It can be heavily argued that this game show was one of the inspirations behind Battle Royale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhUYMEn48w

The UK broadcast was edited with majority of the comedic sketches trimmed out.

At least it's closer to the original than the American edit, known as MXC (Most Extreme Elimination Challenge).

Oh yeah, ABC attempted their own version of Takeshi's Castle, called Wipeout. That only got them sued by TBS.

Edited by areaseven

hahaha! i used to love watching this show back in the day, too! it was so popular in the Philippines (for a while at least) that we had a local dubbed version that aired on prime time! it even had Filipino actors in "Japanese costumes" to introduce the main show's segments XD

hahaha! i used to love watching this show back in the day, too! it was so popular in the Philippines (for a while at least) that we had a local dubbed version that aired on prime time! it even had Filipino actors in "Japanese costumes" to introduce the main show's segments XD

Yeah, I love that version too! Haha!

Takeshi's Castle (風雲!たけし城) is a Japanese game show that aired from 1986 to 1990, and is one of the pioneers of the extreme Japanese game show phenomenon. In the show, hundreds of contestants storm through various obstacle courses for a chance to defeat Takeshi Kitano (Mr. Kitano in Battle Royale, Takahashi in Johnny Mnemonic) and win a million yen (somewhere around US$8,000). It can be heavily argued that this game show was one of the inspirations behind Battle Royale.

Love this show! :lol:

Yeah, I love that version too! Haha!

mr. shoolee? (Jun Urbano) was hilarious, the younger guy not so much hahaha

Wait. Did Mr. Shoolee hosted Takeshi Castle before? I know Mr. Shoolee has its own show, Mongolian Barbeque and his sidekick is Kuhol. I thought it was Anjo and Smokey who played Takeshi and Iwakura/Ishikura on the local dubbed version. But anyways, this is a good show. :lol:

Love this show! :lol:

Wait. Did Mr. Shoolee hosted Takeshi Castle before? I know Mr. Shoolee has its own show, Mongolian Barbeque and his sidekick is Kuhol. I thought it was Anjo and Smokey who played Takeshi and Iwakura/Ishikura on the local dubbed version. But anyways, this is a good show. :lol:

oh wait, i may have them mixed up now! hahaha! you're probably right!