Question about rubber figures...

potatotomato

You know those rubber figures that came with some of the older model kits, in flesh tones?

I assume the figures are designed to be hand painted, the texture has some sticky feel, so do we need to prime them in order for the paint to stick?

Also I'm using Mr.Hobby Acrylic paints but i mix it with Mr.Hobby Thinner, does it make the paint less sticky as i notice after few days the paint seems to feel sticky (but doesn't stain), but if i left it sitting on some hardsurface the paint tend to stick on it. I don't use water because they don't think the paint as well as Thinner and takes longer time to dry. I notice only handpainting them give this problem.

You know those rubber figures that came with some of the older model kits, in flesh tones?

I assume the figures are designed to be hand painted, the texture has some sticky feel, so do we need to prime them in order for the paint to stick?

I'm asking coz i have some figures but they are pre-assembled would be hard to prime spray those gaps.

Also I'm using Mr.Hobby Acrylic paints but i mix it with Mr.Hobby Thinner, does it make the paint less sticky as i notice after few days the paint seems to feel sticky (but doesn't stain), but if i left it sitting on some hardsurface the paint tend to stick on it. I don't use water because they don't think the paint as well as Thinner and takes longer time to dry. I notice only handpainting them give this problem.

You might want to use some sort of vinyl paint or some bumper coat as a primer. You can buy them at the Auto store. Duplicolor has some. SEM makes better ones but they are more expensive. Acrylic reacts badly with the runner material. Also, those type of paints are more flexible. Your paint will crack later on without the proper undercoat. You can lay acrylic over those paints afterwards... should be ok.

You might want to use some sort of vinyl paint or some bumper coat as a primer. You can buy them at the Auto store. Duplicolor has some. SEM makes better ones but they are more expensive. Acrylic reacts badly with the runner material. Also, those type of paints are more flexible. Your paint will crack later on without the proper undercoat. You can lay acrylic over those paints afterwards... should be ok.

Thanks, usually i prime them but since it's just a small figurine i don't want to buy a can of primer just for it, didn't think of spraying a clear top coat until i realize the problem. plus this is the 1st time i paint on rubber like figures.

Not only the issues that EXO mentioned, but they can be sticky because cheap plastic was used. It may ruin the finish if it remains sticky after priming. Others complained of this issue in the past. - MT

Thanks, usually i prime them but since it's just a small figurine i don't want to buy a can of primer just for it, didn't think of spraying a clear top coat until i realize the problem. plus this is the 1st time i paint on rubber like figures.

Now you call it rubber, is it actually soft plastic? Because its common for small scale figurines to be soft plastic rather than hard styrene, and there is a whole set of techniques available for painting that.

I get the impression you're speaking of the PVC character figures randomly inserted in the Arii 15th anniversary plastic kits.

Wash it thoroughly with a good degreasing dish detergent, like is suggested for most plastic model kits, and then wipe it down carefully with a bit of alcohol & let it dry thoroughly. This will remove all the mold release agent and any surface impurities it's collected over the years.

Use a water-based latex craft-paint. "Country Colors" available at Michael's Crafts is a handy option. They also make a spray paint in that brand that's a dream to use and dries flat or satin. Grab some of it in a grey and hit the figure with it as a base coat, then use the brush-on stuff. Really good for your regular kit use as well. There are other brands, or latex available from Testors, but Country Colors has a wider range of interesting colors.

You likely won't find a clearcoat to use on it that won't ultimately react to the PVC. Be prepared to just buy a little plastic or glass display dome (also available at Michaels) for it.

Monster Kolor makes a range of solvent-based paints for use on vinyl toys. However, they're expensive and require serious breathing protection when in use. (You don't want to find yourself with COPD in your latter years do to your kit building hobby activities....)

Edited by AcroRay

Now you call it rubber, is it actually soft plastic? Because its common for small scale figurines to be soft plastic rather than hard styrene, and there is a whole set of techniques available for painting that.

i'm not sure if they are rubber or soft plastic but you know similar to those gachapons, i think the material is the same as those MG 1/100 Gundams that came with a 1/15 pilot, you know in flesh tone that's meant to be painted on.

AcroRay is right, it's PVC, but PVC has many grades, some of those are cheap. I have some of the same figures. They've gone from good to rubber and can break down to sticky!-MT