Touching up nub marks on Metallic/Gloss kits?

potatotomato

hi folks, i'm wondering is there an easy way to touch up exposed nub marks on special finish kits like those that has Metallic or Gloss coatings?

i know the usual removing nub, sand it part, but after doing so and touching up paint of similar color (or none at all), would the area still look different from the rest if i give it a clear coat (gloss/semi-gloss/flat)?

i'm trying to do this MG Griffon which comes with Black Glossy finishing, it looks good but the nub marks are located at very obvious areas, i'm thinking of just sanding it and give the whole armor a gloss coat starting with mist then another layer (would the coat stick on glossy kit?).

i am not sure on the Gloss coating version of a kit, but if it just like a normal kit but is extra glossy, "maybe" you can polish the rough part where you sanded down the nub. This can be done by sanding the part from 1000 grit to 10000 grit (or less or more, not sure).

for metallic kit though, it is a problem since metallic finish or chrome finish is usually painted with gloss black > silver > then clear color. Touching up means you need the sub as small as possible (you cant sand it) and apply metallic touch up and hopefully, your clear color can also match. The nub will still be visible but at least, it will not be as obvious as un-touched nub.

Welcome Potatotomato to MW! Experiment with the sprue before touching your model. Chyll2 Made a good reccomendation with polishing. If cleaning causes

causes burnish marks adjacent to the cutting point, just use a flush cutter and try a Sharpie marker. Paint markers are the next best thing for chromed parts (gold or silver). Those metalic coatings aren't easy to clean up. Hope that helps!-MT

• 3 weeks later...

When I was touching up the sprue points on my classic Arii Metalize Spartan, I use a #2 pencil. It matched the dark metallic of the metalized kit very nicely, and has a metallic sheen to it. Just rub the graphite of the pencil against the sprue spot a couple times, it should grind into the texture of the plastic. Disguised those spots quite nicely for that particular series of kits. Since your kit is also a dark chrome, this may suit your needs.

Not the best quality photo.. but if you look at the fronts of the lower legs, the forearms and just below the missile hatches on the shoulders, there should be ugly bare sprue cutoff points. They're not as noticeable with the pencil lead on them. You can see the texture, but they're not the color the kit was shot in (which was sandy brown, in this case...). Touching up yours with a black marker before the pencil lead might be helpful if the plastic color is lighter.

gallery_1561_662_43070.jpg

Edited by AcroRay