Dynaman

areaseven

Long before Power Rangers, there was Dynaman. In 1987, USA Network picked up the rights to a few episodes of the 1983 Super Sentai series Kagaku Sentai Dynaman (科学戦隊ダイナマン); but rather than broadcast a direct translation of the series, they replaced the original soundtrack with a dub parody. All of the characters were dubbed with fake Japanese accents except Dyna Yellow, who was a cowboy. The villains were rewritten to be an organization of evil film executives. The soundtrack was predominantly '80s top-40 hits by the likes of Huey Lewis & the News, ZZ Top, Bon Jovi and Morris Day & The Time.

So how bad was Dynaman? It's just so hilariously bad, it's good. One of the great guilty pleasures of the '80s. Here's episode 1.

WARNING: Bad audio quality.

I loved those bits. Too bad they could never release it on home video. I was thrilled to find them again on YouTube a few years ago.

I, of course, know all about good old Dynaman...

One of my friends does not like anything Japanese anime and such, I forced him to start watching Dynaman and he sat stoney faced when it started, ended up watching the firt episode 3 times in a row. Oh yeah, he didn't even manage to hold the Stoney face past the "who really knew about acid in those days"...

• 3 months later...