Southern Cross VS. The Zentradi? (A Robotech "what if. . . ?)

DARKWIND

Were the Southern Cross really able to take on the fight?   

2 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your take and why?

• Yes, effective.
    • No, not at all.

I got my proximity suit ready if need be, cause I'm going to be talking about Robotech.

I was wondering had the Zentradi (read another fleet from deep space), attacked the SC saga forces,

could they have been able to hold their own or not?

I don't think they had a chance. . . .

Due to the Zent mecha and ships capabilities.

I just find it hard to understand that after all that aerial/space combat the UN Spacy felt it was fielding the right gear.

Now mind you yes these are (originally) from two differemt shows, but how did the writers think they could pull it off?

I mean when I was a kid, I could tell something wasn't right.

Here's what I thought.

Not even once did they try to rebuild ANY of the capital ships from the previous war. (SDF, ARMD, nada. . .)

Sure they (supposedly) had access to the factory satelite but no.

Instead, we got HOVERtanks, Ajax (helos) and the Logan (half fighter/half gerwalk)?

And NO capital ships whatsoever to take these units out into space to fight.

Its as if fighting another spaceborne threat was the last thought on their minds.

Next, they didn't even try the "Minmay attack/defense".

Hell if it worked before why not give it a shot again?

Nope, not one soul mentioned it till later in a "flashback".

Well that's all for now I don't want to run the whole thread with just my ideas.

What do you guys think?

Sure it was flawed, but believe it or not I still like to watch it from time to time so I'm not hating on it.

I got my proximity suit ready if need be, cause I'm going to be talking about Robotech.

I was wondering had the Zentradi (read another fleet from deep space), attacked the SC saga forces,

could they have been able to hold their own or not?

I don't think they had a chance. . . .

Due to the Zent mecha and ships capabilities.

I just find it hard to understand that after all that aerial/space combat the UN Spacy felt it was fielding the right gear.

Now mind you yes these are (originally) from two differemt shows, but how did the writers think they could pull it off?

I mean when I was a kid, I could tell something wasn't right.

Here's what I thought.

Not even once did they try to rebuild ANY of the capital ships from the previous war. (SDF, ARMD, nada. . .)

Sure they (supposedly) had access to the factory satelite but no.

Instead, we got HOVERtanks, Ajax (helos) and the Logan (half fighter/half gerwalk)?

Its as if fighting another spaceborne threat was the last thought on their minds.

Nope, not one soul mentioned it till later in a "flashback".

Well that's all for now I don't want to run the whole thread with just my ideas.

What do you guys think?

Sure it was flawed, but believe it or not I still like to watch it from time to time so I'm not hating on it.

You can't really do much about the Minmei thing given splicing separate series together.

That said, you might argue that the expedition took most of the ships leaving earth a smaller defense force more to deal with Zentraedi cleanup work than a major force coming in from elsewhere. They weren't expecting much of a fight on the home front. The whole idea was to go to the Robotech Masters' home world and bring the fight to them. As it turns out, the Masters had the same idea. Earth did have some limited capacity for getting their individual craft into space but let's face it, they were using 80's style shuttles and throwing Hovertanks into space.

Some capital ships did eventually make it back but that took a long while. Meanwhile, the space factory was elsewhere in a safe spot and probably focused on cranking out stuff for the expedition, not for Earth.

Well not sure how long this thread is going to last here but you've touched a subject right up my alley.

Not even once did they try to rebuild ANY of the capital ships from the previous war. (SDF, ARMD, nada. . .)Sure they (supposedly) had access to the factory satelite but no.

/RT fanboi

I think you need to re-watch this part of the RT series all over again...most if not some of the fiercest fighting happened in space and the TASC consisted of a greater variety of capital ships when you compare fleets to that of the RDF (even saying RDF on these boards seems dirty). Anyways I'm not getting into numbers but its a safe bet that the fleet the ASC possessed was greater then the RDF's. That being said I don't think there are many fleets out there that can handle 4.8 million ships so if it came to that the ASC would have been defeated. The RDF possessed the SDF-1 and through sheer luck the barrier system overload was converted to battle tactic and was able to obliterate most of the Zentradi fleet.

Leonard's paranoia did create quite the military machine and if you look at it from the perspective that the Robotech Masters were superior to the Zentradi in equipment/training/tactics then the ASC didn't do too badly.

Nope, not one soul mentioned it till later in a "flashback"

The "Minmei Attack" would have been pointless...the clone society of the Masters already had culture and regardless of being under a tight noose they had their own Muses to calm the masses. So again...you might want to watch this series again and rephrase your question or what if.

/RT fanboi

Edited by Zor Primus