YF-19 / AOC "Caliburn"

Ghost Train

Eden Press Financial News Wire

Staff, June 17, 2047

Shinsei Industries (SEI) unveiled its latest prototype during the annual New Edwards air show. This model, classfied as the YF-19 AOC (Active Optical Camouflage) was created in response to a recent NUNS proposal request for a next generation stealth valkyrie to replace the aging VF-17 Nightmare. Its test pilots have nicknamed the craft "Caliburn."

The AOC, shown here in the middle of its diagnostic cycle, features three overlapping nano membranes with hexagonal projection cells. The cells camouflage and blend the valkyrie into the surrounding airspace giving it an unprecedented advantage in combat. In mock close range encounters, the prototype achieved a 20:1 kill ratio against current generation VF-19S valkyries and a 15:1 ratio against the VF-22.

Despite the much touted advantages of the new system, and Shinsei's offer to retrofit a number of the S variant VF-19's, inside sources from NUNS' procurement office indicate that the current project committee has mixed feelings about the prototype. Despite its superb performance, the projected unit cost is almost twice that of that of the VF-22.

The unveiling of the AOC coincides with the 7 year anniversary of the VOCALOID incident, which paralyzed both the central government and UN Spacy for several hours. Details about the incident remain a closely guarded secret. The new valkyrie's design was inspired by former test pilot (now head of Shinsei's R&D beureau) Isamu Dyson's own experience at bypassing Earth's orbital defenses during the incident.

General Galaxy is expected to unveil its prototype next week.

The lukewarm reception to the prototype did not affect Shinsei's share price, as it gained 2.54 to close at 83.23.

Now I'll put my fanfic hat away :) .

This was my first Hasegawa 1:72 scale build. Lots of things went wrong, and lots of mistakes were made. At one point I was very close to just buying another one and starting over, but now that I've seen the final result I'm glad I stuck with it until the end.

My main complaint is that there is some pretty serious color bleed-through from the pre-shading work to the white coat, which unfortunately I didn't notice until I was quite into the build (always work in a well lit environment lol). The end result is that the finish looks a bit more dirtier & weathered than I had wanted it.

It was a good learning experience... I give myself a B- for effort and taking risks with an unusual camo design :p .

post-9883-127679673145_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679674463_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679675183_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679676156_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679677331_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679678093_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679679121_thumb.jpg

post-9883-127679687656_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train