Bandai Macross Frontier (1/100 Scale)

Depthcharge

I've been way out of the loop on Macross World and Macross toys in general. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but what is the general opinion of these Bandai Macross Frontier 1/100 Scale figures? In particular I'm curious about these two:

VF100's VF-25G Messiah Valkyrie - Mikhail Type

VF100's VF-25S Messiah Valkyrie - Ozma Lee Type

Do they transform and if so to all three modes? Are they very articulated? Do they look nice? Are they sturdy? How do they stack up to other offerings of the same Valks (if there are any)? I'm thinking about buying one or both and would like to hear some input first.

Thanks guys,

-DC

If you don't mind parts-formers, then go for it. However, the VF100's line has received mixed reviews over here due to loose joints and the cumbersome need to swap parts between transformation. For the price, it's just not worth it. The VF100's line began with the VF-25 and ended with it, as the line is pretty much a failure.

I've been way out of the loop on Macross World and Macross toys in general. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this but what is the general opinion of these Bandai Macross Frontier 1/100 Scale figures? In particular I'm curious about these two:

Do they transform and if so to all three modes? Are they very articulated? Do they look nice? Are they sturdy? How do they stack up to other offerings of the same Valks (if there are any)? I'm thinking about buying one or both and would like to hear some input first.

Thanks guys,

-DC

Owning one, I'd say it's a good buy for a US$20 display model. I preordered and paid US$80 including shipping and really hate it for what it's worth. It makes a great display model though in fighter mode, very nice details and panel lines. I mistakenly forced one of the gerwalk mode leg joint when transforming and it became dulled and unusable afterward, so I'm stuck with fighter or batroid mode. Articulation in batroid mode is nice, but again... For the price I'm paying it... Not worth the price at all. A couple months back a lot of local hobby shop sells the VF100 line for just US$35. Now at that price, I'll consider it, but the damage is done and VF100 is dead for me. All hail VF Hi-Metal! Preordered the VF-1 Hi-Metal... Boy did I never learn.

Thanks guys,

-DC

These toys don't exactly "transform". To switch from one mode to another, one needs to disassemble the toy down to dozens of components and then build it back up. It's a partsformer in the worst possible way.

I have 3 of these VF100s. They do look nice in each mode once put together and the battroid mode is quite articulated. But, they feel rather flimsy.

The only reason I'd get these is if you absolutely must have a VF-25 in 1/100 scale now. Otherwise, I'd recommend waiting for the eventual VF Hi-Metal version (the VF100s line failed and it has been replaced by the VF Hi-Metal line which is superior).

I agree that the Hi-Metal is superior then the VF100 series as far as design. However, when it comes to implementation, at least in the VF-100's you got all the parts you needed despite being a lot of them. With the Hi-Metal you get "most" while crazy things like gunpod clips and landing gear are web exclusives.

I agree that the Hi-Metal is superior then the VF100 series as far as design. However, when it comes to implementation, at least in the VF-100's you got all the parts you needed despite being a lot of them. With the Hi-Metal you get "most" while crazy things like gunpod clips and landing gear are web exclusives.

That won't be the case with the upcoming Hi-Metal VF-1 though.

I have all three releases and I also regret I paid so much for them, but at that time, the DX were the only other alternative (still didn't find the time to build the models, which I also do have). Actually I think those will be the only ones available in three modes for some time to come, because there are other priorities for the Hi-metal 1/100s than redoing the VF-25. If they do sth. Frontier, I bet it would be different, say VF-27 Hi-Metal.

I guess what I am saying is that if you can wait long enough for the next 1/100 VF-25, go ahead and wait (it's not like there are no other Macross toys out there). I am personally waiting for a next generation 1/60...

Edited by regult

I actually just picked up the regular Ozma yesterday, and I was pretty impressed with the sculpt and the way the articulation was designed. Of course, the first time I went to "transform" it, I couldn't even get the arms to detach because with even the slightest strain some pretty gnarly stress marks started to appear. The only thing I can think of at this point is to try the hot water trick to loosen up the sockets and hopefully get the arms removed, although having to go through that anytime I want to transform it is kind of a bummer.