Macross Untold Story

bamboo-learning

looks cool but its `a hole` rather than `an hole`.

I'm not english! So I just checked google and some sources to see if all was ok... :lol:

"An with consonant sounds.

Many writers use an before h, even when not silent, when the word is not accented on the first syllable.

An historian, such as we have been attempting to describe, would indeed be an intellectual prodigy.—Macaulay.

"The Persians were an heroic people like the Greeks." —Brewer.

"He [Rip] evinced an hereditary disposition to attend to anything else but his business." —Irving.

"An habitual submission of the understanding to mere events and images." —Coleridge.

"An hereditary tenure of these offices." —Thomas Jefferson."

I don't really care but if "an" before "H" is good enough for Thomas Jefferson, it's good enough for me :lol:

Ha ha. Yeah, it depends on if you're aiming for The Queen's English or The President's English. In America, we rarely say "an" before an "h" sound, but I hear British folks do it all the time. Actually for some reason, the one instance you hear it used prominently in American english is "an historic" -- I think because it sounds more distinguished or something. I think you can slip by on the technicality, but it isn't how most people speak around here at least. Of course, Americans butcher the language all the time.

But whatever. Good luck building your models. I know we've been building ours FOREVER.

I'm not english! So I just checked google and some sources to see if all was ok... :lol:

"An with consonant sounds.

Many writers use an before h, even when not silent, when the word is not accented on the first syllable.

An historian, such as we have been attempting to describe, would indeed be an intellectual prodigy.—Macaulay.

"The Persians were an heroic people like the Greeks." —Brewer.

"He [Rip] evinced an hereditary disposition to attend to anything else but his business." —Irving.

"An habitual submission of the understanding to mere events and images." —Coleridge.

"An hereditary tenure of these offices." —Thomas Jefferson."

I don't really care but if "an" before "H" is good enough for Thomas Jefferson, it's good enough for me :lol:

Ha ha. Yeah, it depends on if you're aiming for The Queen's English or The President's English. In America, we rarely say "an" before an "h" sound, but I hear British folks do it all the time. Actually for some reason, the one instance you hear it used prominently in American english is "an historic" -- I think because it sounds more distinguished or something. I think you can slip by on the technicality, but it isn't how most people speak around here at least. Of course, Americans butcher the language all the time.

But whatever. Good luck building your models. I know we've been building ours FOREVER.

yeah in Australia we never say `an` before a clear h sound as in `hole` either.

Historic is different because when we put an before it we pronounce it more like `an Istoric`, therefore making it a vowel sound. Its a convention but most English speakers never put `an` before a clear consonent sound.

btw the quote marks on my keyboard are broken : (