Ode to Ishtar

Fadooski

I've grown to love Macross II over the past while and one of the best treats of the OVA is it's main heroine Ishtar.

The novelty of having the main singing protagonist being an alien as well as her distinctive look is allw ell and good. But what I love the most about Ishtar is her personality. She is by far the most earnest & sincere character in the entire Macross franchise. Once she confronts her situation (being stranded on Earth with a Pulitser-hungry journalist) she opens up to everything around her. At first it's over whelming but, quickly enough, she's energised and transformed by all the culture that she's been missing. When she watches Wendy Rider sing For Now A Friend( a lovely song I listen to almost daily) the delight on her face is infectious.

Best of all is her response to Hibiki and Sylvie's relationship. She's clearly saddened and disappointed at not being able to have him the way she wants, but rather than be embittered, she moves forward looking towards the rest of her life and the project of reforming her culture. She cherishes her connection with Hibiki for what it is (a transformative friendship) and lets go of what she wished it to be.

Of all the things Macross ii had going for it, Ishtar was the best.

I've grown to love Macross II over the past while and one of the best treats of the OVA is it's main heroine Ishtar.

The novelty of having the main singing protagonist being an alien as well as her distinctive look is allw ell and good. But what I love the most about Ishtar is her personality. She is by far the most earnest & sincere character in the entire Macross franchise. Once she confronts her situation (being stranded on Earth with a Pulitser-hungry journalist) she opens up to everything around her. At first it's over whelming but, quickly enough, she's energised and transformed by all the culture that she's been missing. When she watches Wendy Rider sing For Now A Friend( a lovely song I listen to almost daily) the delight on her face is infectious.

Best of all is her response to Hibiki and Sylvie's relationship. She's clearly saddened and disappointed at not being able to have him the way she wants, but rather than be embittered, she moves forward looking towards the rest of her life and the project of reforming her culture. She cherishes her connection with Hibiki for what it is (a transformative friendship) and lets go of what she wished it to be.

Of all the things Macross ii had going for it, Ishtar was the best.

Ishtar was one well written character, which is why I believe she really shone in the show. The rest were rather lacking in one aspect or another.