Frontier E12: What did Alto think he was doing, anyway?

DeeBot

Well, it's been a year and a couple months since Frontier began its regular run, so I obviously had to watch my favorite episodes again... and then my second favorite episodes... and then my third favorite... well, let's just say I don't have anything left to watch again. :(

Anyway, watching these episodes again, everything just keeps making so much more sense. (Along with parts that are cringe-worthy, with plot lines that aren't assembled that well. I don't want to rehash that old thread where we went through pointing all the little hints and clues out, though. Although it was kinda prophetic that Michel predicted that being around Alto was going to get him killed... didn't pick up on that until the most recent time through.)

So anyway, the (in?)famous episode 12. I got to the part where Alto snuck out and was preparing to make off with his VF-25, when the Zentradi (obviously, in retrospect, tipped off by Grace) put a stop to his little plan.

The first few times I saw this, I always figured Alto was just being a hothead again. He'd get in his VF-25, take on all the insurgents at once, and save everybody (or die trying... but he's got plot armor). He certainly wasn't just going to run away to save his own skin, he's not the type, so what else was there?

Well... then it hit me. He'd decided to escape after Sheryl told him how she wanted to give him the gift of flying in a real sky. It suddenly dawned on me that, maybe Alto wasn't going to try and save everybody, but just one person in particular, to make her wish come true...

Kinda romantic, in an irresponsible sort of way. (Although one could argue it was his duty to protect her alone, even if that meant sacrificing the others.) Guess we'll never know, but I thought it was a fun possibility.

Edited by DeeBot

Also, it's really creepy to watch Ranka sing Aimo and the Vajra reacting, knowing what it means now. I'm watching E21 at the moment, and I'm just getting shivers from the battle's climactic scene that I didn't get on the first viewings.

Edited by DeeBot