Epic SMS logo

NapalmRiot

Haha, no, actually I wanted a non-crappy SMS logo and I haven't learned how to do vectoring so this is really my first test ever.

I thought it came out pretty well.

Vector art is fairly simple with only a minimal learning curve; especially when it's a relatively simple design, like the SMS logo. And the best thing about it is: the end result is scaleable (sure, you could reduce this logo, but imagine being able to project it on the side of the building? Raster art turns into jaggies.)

Anyhow, haven't you heard of GIMP, or photoshop? (former free, later expensive) Using either, the same logo at the same scale (or larger) would take a fraction of the time it took to complete the image in MS paint. Also, the results would be a lot clearer (I can see some bluring of the yellow and black in places...)

This logo took me about 10 minutes in photoshop (1/3 scanning time, 1/3 manipulation, 1/3 exporting). Using the enlarge and vector art features, I'm fairly certain that I could achieve something similar to the SMS logo in the first post in around 60 minutes. (12 minutes if I just used the enlarge, magic wand select+inverse, paint on new layer features.)

EDIT: linky for gimp: http://www.gimp.org/

wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

Edited by sketchley

Good work and thank you for sharing...

Yeah, to do this in Adobe Illustrator using vectors, for someone who knows illustrator well (which is not me) would probably take less than an hour. I really want to learn Illustrator. Good stuff.

Oh .. ho ho :(

I thought people would think I was joking with the paint bit...

I did it in about 40 minutes worth of work in the GIMP. I love the GIMP, mainly cause it's free.

It's not so much a "vector" though, as it is just a larger and better looking raster. I took it from a JPEG to a PNG.

I'm trying to learn how to use Inkscape, but I really just don't have the time considering I can't find any really good tuts out there for it.

EDIT: Sketchley, that's a sweet logo. I'm tempted to try something like that now.

Edited by NapalmRiot

EDIT: Sketchley, that's a sweet logo. I'm tempted to try something like that now.

It's from the Charabarries issue with an article on Macross F. I can't remember, but the Movic Macross F book may have a larger version of the same image (about the same size as yours, in the first post, is displayed at.)

Also... sarcastic jokes, especially those that use tone, don't work in text... :ph34r:

Go for CorelDraw instead of anything else, particularly if you're not a professionnal: this soft owns everything related to vector art, and especially Illustrator which is actually the sucker...