Did Yamato change their paint?

magicsp00n

Hey guys, I've been working on a Yamato 1/48 TV Max 1A custom for a couple of months on and off. I'm using a 1st run Hikaru DYRL 1A, except for one piece. Early on, before I knew about the better products for stripping paint, I managed to screw up my original chest plate and airbrake trying to get the paint off. I got a replacement chestplate/airbrake from HLJ last week, which I assume has been manufactured much more recently.

Here's the thing, though. I can't for the life of me get the paint off the new chestplate. When I throw the other original 1A parts into Chameleon for 20 minutes, the paint just jumps off, no problem. The new part, though, nothing. I've left it soaking overnight in DOT 3 brake fluid, nothing. The paint is bulletproof. Is Yamato using different paint now than they were for the original run?

This is a big bummer, since I was really looking forward to finishing my custom. Has anybody else had similar experiences?

And does anybody have a chestplate they can hook me up with?