Need VF-1S reference material

tuck2197

Just getting back into modeling after about a 10 year break. I decided to start back with Hasegawa's 1/72 VF-1S (actually ordered 2 kits so I could mess up the first one and hopefully do better on the second). Right now I am looking for recomendations on reference books of webpages where I can find color schemes, marings and especially any cockpit detail.

I have noticed Macross and Robotech art books on E-bay and was wondering if any of those might have what I am looking for. I am still early in my search, but am hopeing that someone on these forums might be able to point me in the right direction.

Andrew

Just getting back into modeling after about a 10 year break. I decided to start back with Hasegawa's 1/72 VF-1S (actually ordered 2 kits so I could mess up the first one and hopefully do better on the second). Right now I am looking for recomendations on reference books of webpages where I can find color schemes, marings and especially any cockpit detail.

I have noticed Macross and Robotech art books on E-bay and was wondering if any of those might have what I am looking for. I am still early in my search, but am hopeing that someone on these forums might be able to point me in the right direction.

Andrew

The three most helpful books I can think of that you are most likely to get via eBay are the "Macross Perfect Memory" you often see these on the Bay for around £20, it is mostly sketches but has a pictorial guide of the series made from screenshots. 99.9% is in Japanese but thats not really why you want this book. The next one which pops up every now and then is the "Macross Design Works"

there are three flavors of this book one by Miyatake Kazutaka who designed a lot of the Macross vehicles and also the interiors of the SDF etc. I got mine for £15 on the bay

The next which came out about the same time was by Shoji Kawamori same colour binder (turquoise) this is all the mecha designs along with a few colourised prototypes and finished mecha and the all important cockpit sketches, a must. IIRC I paid £25 for mine

The third one has only been out for a few years now and Im fairly sure you can still get it on Amazon Japan (thats where I got mine) it has all the stuff right up to the end of Macross Zero along with old Greats like CrusherJoe and some Gundam things and Patlabor that Shoji designed, it has a funky metalised cover, and is about £20 IIRC

A lot of the art books do repeat the sketches so you will find that what ever you get will have some pictures that you 'll find in other books.

The main thing to remember is the Hasegawa kits are the DYRL versions so the cockpits depicted in the design works books are the TV versions which are different, with a little bit of work you can make the DYRL one into a TV version though. Colours wise the Hasegawa colours are bang on, but watch the anime and decide for yourself. Unless you make it a pink interior nobody here will argue.

Edited by big F

Thanks for the info!!

The three most helpful books I can think of that you are most likely to get via eBay are the "Macross Perfect Memory" you often see these on the Bay for around £20, it is mostly sketches but has a pictorial guide of the series made from screenshots. 99.9% is in Japanese but thats not really why you want this book. The next one which pops up every now and then is the "Macross Design Works"

there are three flavors of this book one by Miyatake Kazutaka who designed a lot of the Macross vehicles and also the interiors of the SDF etc. I got mine for £15 on the bay

The next which came out about the same time was by Shoji Kawamori same colour binder (turquoise) this is all the mecha designs along with a few colourised prototypes and finished mecha and the all important cockpit sketches, a must. IIRC I paid £25 for mine

The third one has only been out for a few years now and Im fairly sure you can still get it on Amazon Japan (thats where I got mine) it has all the stuff right up to the end of Macross Zero along with old Greats like CrusherJoe and some Gundam things and Patlabor that Shoji designed, it has a funky metalised cover, and is about £20 IIRC

A lot of the art books do repeat the sketches so you will find that what ever you get will have some pictures that you 'll find in other books.

The main thing to remember is the Hasegawa kits are the DYRL versions so the cockpits depicted in the design works books are the TV versions which are different, with a little bit of work you can make the DYRL one into a TV version though. Colours wise the Hasegawa colours are bang on, but watch the anime and decide for yourself. Unless you make it a pink interior nobody here will argue.