I am new to model building

stram8777

Can someone explain to me what dry brushing and paint washing are? I would be happy if someone could give a link to a site that might talk about this stuff. I have heard these terms and seen what they look like so naturally i would like to learn how to do them.

thanks

There are many techniques in weathering. Dry brushing can be used for bringing out details (panel lines patterns, indentations, etc) or making something look worn, dirty or rusty. Many of these techniques are really simple and you can come up with them yourself quite easily. The most important thing about weathering is not overdoing it. It is more natural looking with "light" weathering than the "heavy" ones, and not everything needs weathering. If you are an artist or know how to draw, this is a plus as it will help you to come up with more natural looking weathering.

For battle damaged looks (which I rarely use for the love of my models), practice it on some spare plastic if it is the first time you do it. You can use drill, sand paper (different coarses), soldering iron, hairdryer and even model glue (which eats the plastic and creates that damage looks).

Also, don't follow what others have done exactly, it is like copying an art work from the original, it always looks mechanical and not natural. I wish I could express this with better words, but for the best results, you just have to "think" natural. Also, check out real life objects to see how they get rusted or damaged naturally.

In my opinion, the best technique is the one that uses least equipment/tools but can be used to achieve the same results. Achieving the best result doesn't mean you have to spend big money on many tools and equipments.

Happy weathering!

Edited by MacrossX