Perfect Putty

ce25254

I finally got around to trying out Aves Apoxie Sculpt putty.

This stuff is amazing, and I just had to write about it! It is the most perfect putty experience I've ever had. Now, I know that it might not apply in every modeling situation, but for me it is just what I've been looking for. In particular right now I am using it on a vinyl Godzilla where I had chopped off the feet to re-orient them, and was left with gaping (5 to 7mm) gashes in places that I had to fill and re-sculpt to look seamless.

I have tried Squadron putty in the past and some automotive products recently, but on recommendation from the Starship Modeler board, I bought this putty because it sounded like it would work up the way I wanted. It really does--it is super easy to work with, not messy or smelly, feathers and molds easily with a bit of denatured alcohol, works up just like clay and stays workable for a long time (at least an hour), and then hardens really nicely. Also I like the two-part clay-like composition. (No tubes--I hate them!)

I cannot recommend it highly enough when you need a putty to sculpt. Next I'll try it on a plastic model where I need to do some gap filling and leveling, to see how it works for that application.

http://www.starshipmodeler.biz/index.cfm?f...;Product_ID=162

OK, let me temper my enthusiasm by saying this product is not the greatest gap/seam filler for styrene models. Aves hardens so hard that it is very difficult to sand it away without doing a lot of damage to the surrounding plastic. I'm still waiting for liquid Mr. Surfacer for erasing seams in plastic kits, but every shop seems to be out of stock... :unsure: