Toning, shading, inking, CG techiques....

Mecha-Artistry

Hi

I'm just wondering is there a difference in applying tones, shading and inking techniques for drawing manga characters vs drawing mecha?

I mean what type of advanced drawing skills in applying tones, shades and inking involved for drawing mecha? (possibly designing mecha)

And what about CG skills? Are CG skills in mecha drawing are hard to obtain?

I'm just wondering is there a difference in applying tones, shading and inking techniques for drawing manga characters vs drawing mecha?

No. Though there is a diffence in effect: people generally have soft lines and tones, mecha generally have angular lines and hard differences between tones.

I mean what type of advanced drawing skills in applying tones, shades and inking involved for drawing mecha? (possibly designing mecha)

Technically, only inking requires true artistic skill, as any monkey with a computer with the right software can apply tones and shade. Though, the real skill comes in placing light sources, shadow and whatnot correctly.

And what about CG skills? Are CG skills in mecha drawing are hard to obtain?

Impossible if you don't have a base background in art.

CG skills are a whole different ballgame, and it is recommended to not invest serious cash into software and training until you are certain that you'll be able to use the skills, and the software fits your needs for the immediate future. (Of course, there are plenty of free and/or short-term trial software available. Try them out.)

Mecha-artistry, to be honest, I don't think Macrossworld is the best place to be asking these kinds of questions. This site is primarily devoted to the toys of Macross. There are few artists here.

I recommend http://www.deviantart.com/ You will also find a lot of mecha that people have drawn on the site. http://search.deviantart.com/?section=brow...3A5&q=mecha Perusing the variety of images available is a good way to figure out what works, and what doesn't.

My bottom line answer to this topic is: if you're serious, start with pencils and inking only. They make or break mecha art. Tones and shading only enhance great line art. The best mecha art, in fact, doesn't need anything on the pencils or inks! Of course, experiment to your hearts content, just beware of the fallicy of American comic art: colour (and by extension tones and shading) does not make up for bad art!

Right.

Sorry about that. I didn't know that is the reason why this forum existed.

I wasn't able to find much information I need in this passionate area of mine so I had to pick this forum for a start because I knew very well that Macross series was the show that I grew up watching since childhood. ^_^

Hence I want to honour that childhood days by starting to draw on my favourite Macross mechanical units (and other famous mecha series as well).

Nevertheless, thanks for the pointing to the right direction.

I'll take a look to my heart's content.

Maybe I should start posting my drawings on this forum and have you provide critique on them?

No. Though there is a diffence in effect: people generally have soft lines and tones, mecha generally have angular lines and hard differences between tones.

Technically, only inking requires true artistic skill, as any monkey with a computer with the right software can apply tones and shade. Though, the real skill comes in placing light sources, shadow and whatnot correctly.

Impossible if you don't have a base background in art.

CG skills are a whole different ballgame, and it is recommended to not invest serious cash into software and training until you are certain that you'll be able to use the skills, and the software fits your needs for the immediate future. (Of course, there are plenty of free and/or short-term trial software available. Try them out.)

Mecha-artistry, to be honest, I don't think Macrossworld is the best place to be asking these kinds of questions. This site is primarily devoted to the toys of Macross. There are few artists here.

I recommend http://www.deviantart.com/ You will also find a lot of mecha that people have drawn on the site. http://search.deviantart.com/?section=brow...3A5&q=mecha Perusing the variety of images available is a good way to figure out what works, and what doesn't.

My bottom line answer to this topic is: if you're serious, start with pencils and inking only. They make or break mecha art. Tones and shading only enhance great line art. The best mecha art, in fact, doesn't need anything on the pencils or inks! Of course, experiment to your hearts content, just beware of the fallicy of American comic art: colour (and by extension tones and shading) does not make up for bad art!