Wave Five Star Stories kits

VF19

I heard that Wave kits aren't too shabby, "Bandai quality" is something that's been thrown around on an earlier thread about FSS.

in terms of the impact of the model, might as well be the LED Mirage with Boomerang and flamer unit... very impressive when assembled. Or up it a notch and try to get your hands on a Twin Tower set :D

I you are interested in resin why limit yourself to Wave. They do great injection molded 1/144th scale kits. (This is where the Bandai comparison starts and ends.) But they have done only a few resin kits the last couple of years. I would suggest you get a Volks Resin kit. One of the newer fixed pose kits would be great. The new Black Knight comes right to mind.

But if you are wanting a Wave 1/144th scale resin kit any of them would be great. Newtype hobbies routinely posts thier stock on Ebay. So I would suggest looking on Ebay 'till a kit in particular just grabs you. But you can't go wrong with a Knight of Gold or LED Mirage.

While not resin, I just finished my 1/144 Mirage kit. They have a lot of detail and look really nice but they're pretty complicated (you have to glue the thumb and fingers on the hand) and there's a lot of small parts. I was a little dissapointed by the lack of articulation in the elbows, but it really isn't a big thing to piss over. They're as articulate as the old Bandai 1/144 kits, not the new HGUC ones.

For a non-Wave kits, it all depends on your experience. Do you want to tackle a fully posable kit, or just want an FSS kit of any kind? Just about any of the Volks kits are awesome. Especially the V-Siren Neptune and Prominence. For beginners, I'd recommend the static pose kits. You have Work Shop Cast, Volks Super Spirits Series and the G-Sys kits (which are recasts from the two companies w/ some improvements). They all make great kits that aren't too complicated to put together even for most novices. You just need to choose which MH you like the best.

Edited by VF-17

A gundam would get its genitalia handed to it in a fight with a mortar headd. but i have made my choice on a terror mirage from wave. i am planning to get the Volks 3 set mirage kit with the b4, hydra, and the babiron mirage for christmas. but the terror mirage was the cheapest option they had on hlj in stock. for a first kit.

Or up it a notch and try to get your hands on a Twin Tower set :D

not a chance right now. maybe when i could afford it.

to tell you the truth, where can i get volks kits, besides ebay, or what should i search for on ebay?

Edited by VF19

Acutally, there is a seller on ebay called rx93. He sells alot of five star stories kits. Just look up five star stories. And they are usually cheaper than you'd find at HLJ. About $50-75 for each Wave resin kit. Not too bad of a price and a good seller. The Volks kits pop up every once in a while, but get ready to pay at least 150+ per.

rx93 doesnt have any right now, but they'll be up again.

Edited by VF-17

Hmm, good point. Heheh. BTW, I don't see any mentioning of scales. Doesn't bother you how big/small they are? Of course, if shelf space is a limitation, 1/144 is always the way to go, not to mention cheaper. Meanwhile I'm still looking for the Junchoon ODK and Junchoon Last Type in 1/100.

Just a side note. MM stands for Mechanical Moving series, and SSS stands for Super Spirits Series. When all is said and done., you will inevitably have to glue the MM kits joints into a final pose. I resisted this for years and caved in after seen my expensive kits get damaged from flopping over all the time. I prefer the static pose kits myself.

I'm sure that they do wear some when repositioned over and over. As for how much, I'm not sure, but I'm sure that if you stick with a pose and just leave it there, it won't be a problem. If they are loose to start with, you can always put some nailpolish on the pegs to tighten them up.

The problems are worse than simple wear and tear. The socket PC's are suseptible to splitting open. And you can figure out what can happen when that happens. I reall love the MM kits though. When they are large enough you can replace the kit PC's with Radio Controll joints. My Arkanna Siren has RC joints in it's hips. The ones I used have an adjustable tension socket so I was able to get a really tight joint for that big boy.

And if you have the money I would recoment this kit. Since I can't afford it right now I figure someone here could get it and I could watch them put it together.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...9&category=1193