Using Charcoal To Add Effect

fumikane

hi all. i'm a newbie to the world of collectible toys and i just got my 1/48 vf-1s yamato. i've seen some really cool customisations on the vf-1 on these forums where i've seen most with that 'battle-worn' look.

besides actually have to resort to air-brushing the edges of the vf-1s, has anyone thought about using charcoal (powdered form) to slightly taint the edge so as to give it that "battle" look? just a thought that charcoal would be easier to remove.

anyone have any idea what charcoal might do to the plastic?

it may be a cracked-up idea..but since i can't air brush, i'll try anything! :rolleyes:

thanks for any advice/help one can impart on a newbie!

Welcome aboard. I don't know if you've been lurking long before taking the plunge as an active member, but you should find your stay an enjoyable one. Most members are very helpful and friendly around these parts.

As for the use of charcoal, or any other type of weathering powders, the very fact that they are easy to remove/clean is the reason I don't think they are well suited for use on a toy, as they are primarily intended for static, don't-you-dare-touch-me, scale models. A toy is meant to be handled and this manipulation will cause your hard work to smudge, acquire fingerprints, and re-deposit in places where you did not intend them to go. Therefore, unless you are going to give the toy a clear coat of varnish (Dullcote, Semi-gloss, etc...) to protect your work, which would defeat the "easy removal" aspect of the medium, then I would advise you against their use.

You may find that using ink, or diluted enamel or acrylic, or a gray fine point Gundam marker, to do the panel lining on your new baby will be enough to enhance it's appearance without adversely affecting the playability of the toy. And you can also use these methods to create special effects like battle damage and fluid streaks that will be much less likely to be damaged from moderate handling.

Hope this has been of some help. :)

PS.: Of course, if all you intend to do is display the VF in a single pose, in a dust proof cabinet, for the rest of its days then powders would probably be okay.

Dry pigments are infinetaly better for weathering and dirtying.... especially if you don't have an airbrush (like me)... I discovered them not that long ago, and absolutely love using them. You can get amazingly subtle effects wtih them that you cannot with paints.