Custom Display Stand

RoboTech

i remember a LONG time ago (like 4years) a friend of mine made a display stand out of a cd case or something for yamato valkyries, i want to make one for a gundam and tekkaman model kits i just got.

i was thinking to put an empty cd case as a base and some type of wire(dont know were to get it still though :p ) to put the model kit on the air

the problem right now is, how to keep the figure in the air, i need some kind of hook or something to attach the figure on it

any help will be appreciated, thanks!

That's an intersting idea. Make some custom album art, put it in the jewel case and attach some coat hanger wire. If you take the wire and bend a triangle into one end and attach it to the bottom with some epoxy and do a half loop out and over the front of the case, you can either do a "model on a stick," or hang from it depending on the size and scale and length of wire used. Using a CDR-W holder sounds great too. I kept one to do the same thing.

First a shamless plug:

The Model Base

Okay now that I have that out of the way, I would try to find some steel wire at your local hardware store. Typically I think this is found in the welding section but basically it is a hardened wire that is very rigid and yet very thin. You can bend the stuff but it takes a little effort just take your time and go slow as it can snap and then you have a tiny missle being launched. If you have a torch or heck even a candle you can heat up the wire where you want the bend and it will make it a lot easier. There are different thicknesses of the wire so get the one you feel is just thick enought to hold your kits. After you have it bent into the shape you want you should scuff it up good with some sandpaper or steel wool and paint it as it can rust on you. I hope that this helps.