Civilization 4

Yeah, I never really associated Civ with being a system hog, but my 3 year old pc is just barely running it when there's a lot going on (e.g. I declare war). My system definitely meets the recommended requirements, but it start stuttering like porky pig when I try to fight a war on multiple fronts.

Yeah, I never really associated Civ with being a system hog, but my 3 year old pc is just barely running it when there's a lot going on (e.g. I declare war).  My system definitely meets the recommended requirements, but it start stuttering like porky pig when I try to fight a war on multiple fronts.

342502[/snapback]

Yeah... I'm running an athlon 2800, 512mb of ram and a 5200 geforce and it's just not doing a good job. I've turned off all the animation and that helps some.

I'm actually upgrading my PC because of this game. hahaha... something wrong with that, I could play Doom3 decent enough but I can't play Civ IV.

Yeah, I've been a Civ junky since the original. This one is incredible. My brother's computer doesn't play it well at all though with a P4 2.0GHz and 256MB (I built it with 512, but one DIMM died and he's too lazy to ship it to me for warranty replacement). He says that, by the endgame, it takes five minutes just for the AI to complete its actions at the end of every turn. Sadly, it's so addictive, he still played several turns like that. :lol:

It runs great on the uber-system that I just built though.

Loving the game. It fixed a lot of my beefs with III. I have problems runnning it as well though, and I meet or exceed all the recommended requirements (Athlon 2800, 512 RAM, Radeon 9600). It's not too bad as long as I keep the cache cleared, turn off the videos, and don't play a huge map.

Yeah, I never really associated Civ with being a system hog, but my 3 year old pc is just barely running it when there's a lot going on (e.g. I declare war).  My system definitely meets the recommended requirements, but it start stuttering like porky pig when I try to fight a war on multiple fronts.

342502[/snapback]

Yeah... I'm running an athlon 2800, 512mb of ram and a 5200 geforce and it's just not doing a good job. I've turned off all the animation and that helps some.

I'm actually upgrading my PC because of this game. hahaha... something wrong with that, I could play Doom3 decent enough but I can't play Civ IV.

342510[/snapback]

I'm not really surprised since it's a stragety game that is CPU & RAM intensive. Remember what HomeWorld 'suggested'? 1 Gig of RAM. Upgrade your RAM to near a gig and get that new video card.

It fixed a lot of my beefs with III.

Yes, they definitely fixed a lot of problems. It's more balanced this time around. The AI in 3 would either flat out cheat or cross into your territory repeatedly and that really bugged me. Plus, it seemed like the AI would go to war with you over ANYTHING, and that was really frustrating.

1 Gig of RAM. Upgrade your RAM to near a gig and get that new video card

Just what my wife doesn't want to hear. Anytime I bring up anything with the PC, she knows it's going to be pricey. I'm probably going to putter along with my 512 RAM and 9800 PRO until my birthday early next year and then I'll just build or buy a new desktop. Besides, I still have valks to buy!