Looking for an anime title

Hello, long-time lurker, first-time poster!

I am looking for the title of an old anime movie I saw on cable in the 80s. It featured a guy driving a semi truck that transformed into a robot (natch). He was attached to sensory devices that allowed him to manipulate the robot and fight. The robot had a move where it performed a forward somersault and two halves of a spear would jettison out of the legs/trailer part of the robot and would be combined into one piece.

Unfortunately that is all I can remember. Any ideas? Thanks! :D

Thank you Project Phoenix, I am pretty sure this is the one I was thinking of. It's pretty weird seeing pictures after all these years from what I remembered. Is this thought of as a classic anime show?

Anyway, thanks again -- I knew someone from MW would know the answer.

i too am looking for an anime. sadly i did get the answer but i didn't write it down :(

It's from the early 80s

I remember two pilots who are training (on earth?) under an older teacher. they are training to complete a dangerous maneouver where they have to link up their 2 ships. In the one ep the one pilot gets injured.

The show (the series?) concludes with the other pilot leaving the planet to join the war out in space