Questions about Soviet/Russian and Chinese planes

First, does anyone know of some decent sites with info and pictures about Soviet-Russian and Chinese military planes. Both very modern and historical (cold war). I'd subscribe to Jane's defence weekly but they're damn pricey.

My questions: Do the Russians operate the Hokum attack helicopter? If so, how many? I know it's an early 80's design. But in almost all the news clips over the years I've seen regarding Russia, you only see Hind's and Mi-8(or later variations). Never saw them in Chechnya for example.

2nd, What's up with the Ka-60 Kasatka? That was supposed to replace all the Mi-8 family, It looks like an impressive helicopter, but I've never seen more than a couple prototypes.

3rd, is the Havoc Helicopter a dead design? I believe the Hokum won in the competion so I guess it's a foot note. Looked like a mean chopper.

Regarding all the above 3, knowing Russia is constantly low on cash, willing to sell damn near anything to anybody (Iran, N. Korea and Syria for example, including nuclear technology) why hasn't Russia sold either helicopter to over seas buyers? It's a great way to make money. Maybe I'm hoodwinked, but I'm under the impression these choppers kick some serious butt, so why aren't they equipped outside Russia?

4th, how about the Berkut? If Russian can't afford it's own plane, why not market it? It seems very powerful and formidible indeed.

5th and last, China: I'd love to have a better idea of their 'order of battle'. I've never seen a Chinese Hind, don't they own any? Are they still only using the Mi-8 variants? They don't operate MiG-29's, is that right? Is there some reason China in recent years seems to favor the Suchoi designs overwhelmingly?

Anyway, I hope this isn't too off topic, but there seems to be some pretty plugged in MW'ers in terms of aviation news.

To answer the last question first I beilieve the reason the Chinese are favoring Sukhois lately is becasue Mig just hasn't really been able to do much with the Mig-29. They've had a hell of a time turning it into an effective multi-role aircraft, it just doesn't have the legs for it. China wants aircraft that genneraly give them the same kind of capabilities that the Americans have, the Flanker family can give them that, the Fulcrum family is having more trouble with that. The reason you haven't seen any Chinese Hinds is because they do not operate them, the role of the Hind is unique but the closest Chinese equivelent would be the WZ-9, an armed copy of the Aerospatiale Dolphin.

The reason Sukhoi hasn't marketed the Su-47 to any othere countries is becasue it's a technology demonstrator. Sukhoi would need to do alot more work on the Berkut before it would be a combat capable aircraft. The two Russian ATFs (the Su-47 and Mig-1.44) are only prototypes, they're roughly at the same stage that the YF-22 and -23 were at in the early '90s, and Russia hasn't had the cash to take them any further. Right now both projects are dead and useful for little more than showing off what Mig and Sukhoi could do 15 years ago.

The Havoc is not dead, it's just in a coma. It was to start taking over as the USSR's main attack helicopter at about the same time the USSR ceased to exist. There are a handful in service, but building new examples has been extremely difficult. I think the reason you don't see many of Russia's more advanced helicopter designs being purchased is because they are rather expensive, and an unknown quantitiy. Part of the price of purchase for any new aircraft covers the development costs, normally those costs are paid off after a good number of examples are built, that's when you see export sales pick up because new exapmles are cheap. Since Russia has only bought a few Havocs Mil hasn't re-couped the development costs yet, and so they have to pass them on to any export customers (and the ones you mentioned aren't exatly flush with cash right now). Upgrades of tried and true designs (like the new Mi-35 development of the HInd) are cheaper and have the advantage of a proven pedigree.

I don't know anything about the Kasatka.

The Hokum is in the same boat as the Havoc, it's in a state of living death brought on by the collapse of the Soviet Union.