Samurai Monkey Tachikoma model

Hi guys.

I was just wondering if there was any feedback on the latest Samurai Monkey model? I think at least a couple people have gotten their models already; I was just interested to get any feedback.

Also: for those of you who have the kit: you may notice that the surface of the parts is somewhat "greasy"... This is simply the effect of the mold release. This is easily removed by washing the parts with mild dishwashing detergent and a toothbrush and/or a sponge. Basically, the mold release is a special, paintable formulation, so it won't affect paint adhesion at all: no scuffing of the surface is really necessary.

Instructions: they aren't included in the actual kit, just as with the VF-1 booster & display base, I need to e-mail them to buyers individually... No worries, I didn't forget :p

Ah, I was going to ask about that. I sat for a good half hour scratching my head, trying to figure out how parts go together! ;)

The only thing that I found weird with the kit, is that there are no location marks under the main body for the leg mounts? Is this intentional?

Hi Fulcy.

Yes it is. As you can see, the thigh "socket" is contoured to perfectly fit the bottom of the main body, but I left off any allignment pegs so as to give the builder as much posing latitude as possible. The socket basically just "butts" with the centerline drum, but you can determine the leg-spread best suited to your pose.

Just got the mail, and what was there? My Tachicoma kits!!!!

Upon opening the box, I was greeted by two plastic Tupperware-ish containers with the Tachicoma stickers attached (very original and useful packaging :) ).

The first thing that struck me was the size of the "fridge" on the back. From what Cap said, this is going to be a decent sized kit, but this is larger than what I was expecting! The lower leg looks to be ~2 1/2 inches from the knee to the bottom of the wheel. The fridge is just under 3 inches with the cover in place. Main body is about 1 3/4 inches across. All in all, this will be a very impressive size when completed!

Both kits were equal in materials and workmanship. There were no miss-castings and upon first inspections, all parts are air bubble free. The blue parts are a semi-transparent blue, and the gray parts are molded in opaque gray, though there are some parts that are a bit off color from the rest. The sensor thingies are molded in white and the wheels in black. This kit is on par with Gundam master grade kits as if you don't want to, you can build this unpainted and still have a very good looking kit! But, of course, painting will make this kit even more outstanding!

One thing that I noticed was that the parts had a weird feel to them. The resin feels more like ABS plastic than normal casting resin. I did a knife test on a part and found the resin is a bit tougher to cut than most of my other kits. Again, almost like ABS plastic. On the whole, though, the resin looks and feels to be top notch. Since these kits came in a Smooth On box, I'm taking that is what was used for casting.

Final impressions? GET IT! I have many kits that are smaller, and less quality than these gems at more than double the cost. As for me, I hope that the upgrade kit will be coming out soon, and I'll need a couple more for what I have in mind. Maybe also a walking tank...... *hint* *hint* :lol:

To Monkey Nugget and Capt America, THANKS!!!!!!!!!

Edited by VF-17