What Valkyrie is this?!?

AlphaHX

I kinda agree with whytewolf, but not entirely. I am not opposed to heavily armed craft, and I don't think Valkyries need be limited to sleek strike craft. However, both the Stampede and the Star Crusader lack a certain class I expect from Kawamori's designs. That perfect place between the realistic and the fantastic, the utilitarian and the stylish, the functional and the impressive.

I despise a lot of Gundam designs, especially the AU Gundams from Wing and G Gundam because they have absolutely no regard for class and style, the Wing mecha especially as they throw guns all over these neigh invincible robots that appeal to the average 14 year old psyche, but lose their luster to those of us that want something more in our mecha designs that giant guns everywhere and crass symbolism such as cloaks and giant angel wings aimed at sparking the excitement of those easily moved by such blunt, yet shallow imagery.

I see the Stampede, and most especially the Star Crusader, fitting right in with the Zero and Deathscythe in that regard. I see these two as curiosities, an abnormal departure from the mecha style we've come to know and love from Kawamori. I'm also rather glad the mecha designs never seriously went that way, leaving behind the roots of the VF-1 and the VF-4.

I kinda agree with whytewolf, but not entirely. I am not opposed to heavily armed craft, and I don't think Valkyries need be limited to sleek strike craft. However, both the Stampede and the Star Crusader lack a certain class I expect from Kawamori's designs. That perfect place between the realistic and the fantastic, the utilitarian and the stylish, the functional and the impressive.

I despise a lot of Gundam designs, especially the AU Gundams from Wing and G Gundam because they have absolutely no regard for class and style, the Wing mecha especially as they throw guns all over these neigh invincible robots that appeal to the average 14 year old psyche, but lose their luster to those of us that want something more in our mecha designs that giant guns everywhere and crass symbolism such as cloaks and giant angel wings aimed at sparking the excitement of those easily moved by such blunt, yet shallow imagery.

I see the Stampede, and most especially the Star Crusader, fitting right in with the Zero and Deathscythe in that regard. I see these two as curiosities, an abnormal departure from the mecha style we've come to know and love from Kawamori. I'm also rather glad the mecha designs never seriously went that way, leaving behind the roots of the VF-1 and the VF-4.

Totally agree with you, both valks look like gundam stuff... like the armored VF11 wich wasn't that bad 'till they put that horrendous (and huge) cannon. About the AU gundam series I agree with you also, specially with Wing (total POS teeny booper series), G gundam (what can a I say?? a gundam that it's evil and a gundam made out of sailor moon... I'm embarrased... of being a gundam fan after that!... oh wait! as a Macross fan we have the stupid clown force.... ahhhhhh!!!! shoot me! :p ), after those the rest of the alternate gundam are quite decent, Gundam X is kinda boring, but it's good enough to not be included in "macplus's house of lame" awards, turn A is awesome, the designs are not that bad, actually they look great when animated and the story is great too and last but not least Seed wich after thinking it was crap at the first couple of eps turned out to be very good. Later folks!

Edited by macplus

Totally agree with you, both valks look like gundam stuff... like the armored VF11 wich wasn't that bad 'till they put that horrendous (and huge) cannon.

Hi ya! This may be silly but what horrendous and huge cannon are you tal;king about? :huh: I'm very late in the Macross universe :p .

I'm only familiar with the Vf-11 with Fast Packs (the one Yamato made in 1/72 and the Vf-11 with the large ugly Boosters in Macross Plus. Can you please provide a pic of the VF-11 with the large cannon that you're mentioning? ;)

Both the stampede and the star-crusader appeared in the Macross PC98 games... I never used the Star-Crusader, but the Stampede Valkyrie was designed with ship-busting in mind, and a squadron of those things could seriously bring the pain! They were fun to use!

turn A is awesome, the designs are not that bad, actually they look great when animated and the story is great too

I watched the very first episode a pair of days ago and was instantly charmed: I'm really looking foward to the rest of this show :)

I don't actually mind the full armour VF-11, being simply the natural progression of the GBP armour for the VF-1. Also, it's not like the huge gun made it invincible or anything, and it remained in the realm of the realistic in that the missles in the armour were basically a one-shot deal, after wich the armour was usually jettisoned in favour of maneuverability.