Questions about Resin Recast....

JLYC

hello I've been looking into resin models lately (both macross and non-macross), and I have sort of a semi-interest in getting into the recast business. i still have some qualms about it because it's sort of like pirating...but anyways a few general questions:

1. Since a model can be recast an indefinite number of times (from orginal or another recast) providing that you need to remake the molds every so often, why are many models 'sold out' and never made again??

2. are there any north american recasters around? so far the online retailers I've seen are asian based...and I think hobbyfan doesn't do their own recast do they?? why are there not more american recasters/retailers?

3. Anybody have any idea on avg how much a professional model sculpter makes? either in japan or in NA

my motive is not to make tons of $$ (no intention of quitting my schooling or future job)...but just another way to sustain the hobby and make some rarer kits available to the masses, especially given how rare Macross resin models are and their high price compared with their plastic counterparts.

thanks for reading

It is bootlegging, no matter how politely you say 'recast'. You'll have to work that out with your own set of morals. Generally it's accepted that if the kit is no longer around, and the originator has no plans to offer it again, it's fair game.

1. Molds are difficult to make, and expensive. Add to the fact that it is useable for only a few kits, and the profit drops. If it's gonna cost you a hundred bucks for a mold and you only sell 5 kits at $20.00 before your mold gives out and you have to replace or repair it, you're not gonna make a big profit. Can you be sure you're gonna sell enough to cover cost?

2. The reason so many are based in Asia is they can get past piracy laws.

3. Well some charge around $40.00 per hour. Some charge by subject. None are really cheap. Sound pricey? Not really. How much do you make an hour? Add in material cost, add in skill, add in equipment. A point to consider when you make an original kit available, is that somebody can buy one and 'recast' it right from under you offering it cheaper than you because they didn't have to pay the original modeler. As an example, whats to stop me from buying Monkey's Booster, recasting it, and selling it cheaper than the $100.00 they asked for it? Now what if it was an original you made and offered?

If your not into for making gobs of cash, you'll try to keep it fan based like here. However, there are gonna be those that just buy them to re-sell them at a higher price. It's already happened here, and it will still. So all the work you put into to recasting for the fans just went to some guy trying to make a buck instead of building the kit.

thx for your comments. i agree that if i'm the original sculptor i'd be pissed off seeing ppl recasting my stuff. however many fans still rely on recasts to get the model they want, especially those outside japan. it's a really grey area of this hobby. :unsure:

thx for your comments. i agree that if i'm the original sculptor i'd be pissed off seeing ppl recasting my stuff. however many fans still rely on recasts to get the model they want, especially those outside japan. it's a really grey area of this hobby. :unsure:

It is quite grey. That's where you gotta use your own sense of fairness to the original, and to the fans. You also have to remember that not everybody is gonna have that same sense of fairness.

No matter how you cut it, recasting is stealing. It's like bootleg movies and stuff like that.

Frequently in the modeling circles many of these kits aren't licensed anyway. So a recaster is usually stealing from a thief in the first place. Then people complain about the recasters? Hypocrisy.

SO, if someone creates a kit and stops making it they are showing that they have no interest in making it available to the fans. And like it's said above, I'd call it fair game.

PLUS, keep in mind that those resin kits from Japan aren't supposed to be available outside of Japan. I've gotten plenty of resin that says on the box "Not for sale outside of Japan." So I have NO PROBLEM with that stuff being recast. Crank 'em out with a clear conscience. As long as you are willing to deal with the casting process and the resin fumes, lots of luck and be safe.

Just so you know, the phrase "Not for sale outside of Japan." is because of bootlegging, not a supriority complex, and they usually have a license for the kit.

I think I put my opinions too close to eachother.

The ones who complain about the recasts usually don't have the licenses. But in Japan nothing gets made without a license. But the stuff from Japan isn't meant for our market.