Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Hikuro

Honestly in first glance, you don't think much of it. It's Yu-Gi-Oh!...and its a toy. But when you get down to it you realize it's really an accessory item for the TCG players. Though a lil over priced, between 28-40 dollars (better at walmart online) you get a big punk of plastic right? Well not really....

True, the Duel Disk made by Mattel...."The cow goes moooooo" was actually designed rather well in hopes of actual Duelists to pick it up and use it as your own portable Dueling system. Now I'm sure, if more kids were into Duel Monsters (F using Yugioh card game! Duel Monsters dammit!) you'd see alot more kids maybe in a local mall with these things on their arms hoppin around cause mommy and daddy want them outta the way. But alas, with only a lil under 2 months of serculation, Duel Disks really haven't gotten around unless die hards like myself buy them to show off to other die hards.

Now alot of you are thinking, "God you bought one didn't you? You bought a piece of crap!" To be honest yes I did buy it, but no its not crap at all....rather, its kind of cool when ya use it a bit.

Alot of people initially thought you would have to pull and connect the two halfs of your Duel Disk into place in order to play...but nope that's not true at all!

Under the Duel Disk is a switch, when you pull it, it releases a trigger mechanism and it'll perform a very fast rendetion of its TV counter part....where the left and right half will meet up top and push itself back down.

The Duel Disk is held in place by a Velcro strap over an arm band and a piece of the Duel Disk to help keep in place from slipping off your arm.

Next, you think, "Wait now I can actually play like the TV series and slide my own cards into the slot and play 'em?! I thought it came with hokey lil cards?"

The Duel Disk is MEANT to be played with the TCG, its not just some simple little toy. This is for Duelists like myself to walk around somewhere and find another Duelist and duke it out in the streets.

Next is the life point counter, a similar Idea I had when I was designing one last year. Your Life Point counter is a press button to subtract. You have a 4 digit counter ranging from 0 - 9999 no higher. When your life points are being destroyed, each player will press a button which is represented of by the digit they have to subtract. The only button that will not release is the 0 button on the far right end. However, that button also serves as a LED display thanks to another switch on the bottom of the Duel Disk. Pressing the switch will determine if you want your disk to razal Dazal or just light up and stay up.

It takes 3 1.5 volt batteries, the kind you see in some cell phones and watches.

Your cards hold very nicely in place thanks to a little flap on the Deck holder and card graveyard. Its recommended you use the 42 card system and not 50, this way you don't break the flaps...not sure just how fragile they can be.

Like in the series you pull out your cards and stick them in the slots. There is a spot for all magic and trap cards, and your monsters can enter defense or attack with no troubles at all. Your magic and trap cards go into lil slots built into the Duel Disk system and they must be pulled out in order to exit the slots. All cards fit securely in place, even shaking it about will not cause them to fall.

Also your deck holder will hold your cards in place as long as you have the lip fliped upward. The Card graveyward works the same way as your deck holder, and will hold all your cards untill your ready to place them back into the deck holder.

You can take your deck out anytime you want, no problems, so that's a big plus.

Overal, this is kinda neat and later Matel is releasing the Dark Duelist Disks which you see in the new season of Yu-Gi-Oh! Enter the Dragon which looks rather impressive.

Also if your stuck on a halloween idea and don't know what to dress up as, just carry the duel disk around and walah!

Personally, I like it but to each his own I believe, but I give kudos to Matel for a good job in assembling and how well they thought this out to be honest. This will work for guys like me, (200 some pounds :p and veins made of Rague!) to slide on your arm. But I personally would suggest if your a real big hefty guy you find a way to customize just the arm band and velcro straps.

I'll send some pictures later when I get home!

I've read that a lot of people tend to avoid this not only because it looks really dorky outside of cosplaying, but also because it tends to screw up the cards. That would tend to scare people away, especially when a lot of the cards are worth more then the toy.

You know, no matter what some of the accessories that are for Duel Monsters will ruin the value, but think of it this way, the moment you open that pack and let the card breathe, you loose value....so what's the point?

Here are the pcitures of the "Chaos" Duel Disk. The duel area layers onto eachother and its not TOO bad :huh: but you know, I still think it isn't bad. While the looks aren't "Fantastic" it's pretty well built and sturdy. I'd like to take it apart and customize it, and if it looks well enough that I feel cofident that I can keep doing that, I might offer cheap services of customizing it to "better" looking versions.

B000302AGO.01.PT01.LZZZZZZZ