Hasbro Optimus Prime smokestack mod

Jawjaw

I thought I would share my Optimus Prime smokestack mod because it was so easy and only set me back an extra $1.50. The only cost was for the 12 inch long 1/32" aluminum tube found at a hobby store. In order to get the tubes to slide over, I had to shave off the chrome coating and a little of the plastic on the short smokestacks. I also shave a little off the inside of the tubing for a nice snug and flush fit. I used some fine sandpaper and compound to polish the aluminum for a close to chrome look. I also used some leftover black paint on the inside of the tube for a better look. I love the results because it looks stock.

Great mod - though, I am confused a little - the smoke stacks are much bigger than 1/32 in diameter - is that the size you meant? I would think something around 5/32 in diameter would be a better fit...

Great mod - though, I am confused a little - the smoke stacks are much bigger than 1/32 in diameter - is that the size you meant? I would think something around 5/32 in diameter would be a better fit...

Sorry, I meant to say 7/32 or 5mm.

Pardon me for being lazy and ignorant for not reading other Transformer postings.

One question is, are the Hasbro prime made of plastic or Metal. Based on the photos it appears that the chest parts are made of metal.

Thanks,

any way you can type up a step by step?

Okay, there is not much more to it but I will give full details. I first cut two pieces of aluminum tubing, each 24mm. That's just a number I came up with that seemed about right. I used wood blocks and a hack saw to make my own mitre saw but it didn't work all that great. The cut was semi straight but it was not very clean at all. I mainly used an exacto knive to shave off the excess metal and sandpaper to even the edge. I recommend planning ahead and use both outer ends of the aluminum tubing for the top part of the smokestacks. In other words, the side you cut should be the down side and the clean, untouched end will face up.

I used an exacto knive to shave off the chrome plating on the stock upper pipe. I had to shave a little more off the plastic as well. Make sure and test the fit before shaving too much off. I also used the exacto knive to taper the inside of the lower new smoke stack. This helps it slide on easier and gives it a more flush fit.

The stock aluminum tube I got had a dull finish. I used some very fine sandpaper to buff it out. I started with a fine grit and finished with a very, very fine grit. I'm not sure what grit since it came in a pack of various fine grits that I bought long time ago. I also used some rubbing compound to clean them up a little. I didn't spend time polishing so I'm sure a better job can be done. I was thinking of using some chrome spray paint but after sanding them with the fine sandpaper, they looked good enough.

To finish it off, I used some leftover blackish acrylic paint for the inside off the top of the smokestacks. It looked much better after doing that.

Pardon me for being lazy and ignorant for not reading other Transformer postings.

One question is, are the Hasbro prime made of plastic or Metal. Based on the photos it appears that the chest parts are made of metal.

Thanks,

The Hasbro version is constructed exactly the same as the Takara version. Most of the upper body and legs are metal.