Wonderfest & Charahobby 2006 Summer

wolfx

MAN!! I feel bummed. What an experience. It felt like half of Japan's males attended the events. I've never imagined how many otakus show up for these events. The numbers were daunting. The people were smelly. And you had to line up for just about everything.

I went charahobby with 2 friends and when we reached about 8am (it starts at 10) the line already reached beyond the convention center all the way to the car park. I think this is the most people i've seen in a single place in my life. But boy was I wrong. We wanted to be the 1st few in line the next day at Wonderfest. So we went there immediately after chara hobby and went to an onsen to freshen up before arriving at Tokyo Big Sight at about 11pm. We queued in front of the entrance which suspiciously seemed like there were no ppl waiting there. Only 2 other otakus + us. At 3am, WF staff came and chased us off and guided us to the real line. HOLY MUTHA....the line was about 3km away from the entrance, and the line, we had to walk 15 minutes to the end of the line to line up!! This was 3:30am!

Otakus were already there, and the summer air was filled with otaku sweat stench. It was horrible. We got into line and tried to get some sleep but could only catch a few winks. By morning, when the train lines started around 5am, more ppl came to line up. The number of people have already jumped to 7000 people at least. This report is to be continued.

Still in japan so i don't have time to consolidate pictures, but this is basically what I got there from around japan and wonderfest. ;)

2001302650828604699_th.jpg

Close ups of the haul.

2005777539635013167_th.jpg

Wanda Chans. :D

2005713827488853890_th.jpg

T-shirts

2005790003346808001_th.jpg

2005777539635013167_th.jpg

2005703466683198182_th.jpg

Packed into the big bag i brought that was half full with my clothes. I took out all my clothes and squeezed them into my backpack and put my toys into the big bag...most of them anyway.

2005723684579717887_th.jpg

This is when everything is packed and ready to go. In the end i checked in the big luggage, and brought the 2 paper bags and backpack onto the plane. No problems from customs. :D

2005770066544960973_th.jpg

Edited by wolfx

Wow how much was the VF-11B FP in US dollars?

426845[/snapback]

About 50 USD...but i think its a 2nd hand toy. But everything is alright. Stickers unapplied, parts all there.

Got the VF-17 for 27 USD

• 3 weeks later...

you really shouldn't be surprised. there're i think almost as many otakus in Japan as Macross fans in... say... the whole of Asia or even the world combined? i'm guestimating of course =P

you could check out this lovely japanese drama called Densha Otoko and you'll see how huge the otaku community is.

great haul there wolfx with the great pictures of the YF-19 and the FP 0A. thanks.

btw, there's a great blog-site by a person who's affiliated with the press somehow, lots of nice photos of the two events i think:

http://www.dannychoo.com/blog_entry/eng/604/C3+X+HOBBY/

you really shouldn't be surprised. there're i think almost as many otakus in Japan as Macross fans in... say... the whole of Asia or even the world combined? i'm guestimating of course =P

you could check out this lovely japanese drama called Densha Otoko and you'll see how huge the otaku community is.

great haul there wolfx with the great pictures of the YF-19 and the FP 0A. thanks.

btw, there's a great blog-site by a person who's affiliated with the press somehow, lots of nice photos of the two events i think:

I visit Dannychoo about every other day, great site and although i know he regurally visits the otaku conventions and shows, i guess i never got a first hand account of what it was like just waiting in line for one to start.

Yeah I don't need Densha Otoko to tell me about the massive otaku population that gathers at Tokyo Big Sight, and yes of course i've seen it.....otherwise i wouldn't be interested in the Miina figure, would I? :D

But experiencing it 1st hand was really something. You should go through it once in your life. More pictures to be posted tommorow. Hmmm...i wonder why was this transfered to the Macross Toys thread btw.

And yes i've actually met Danny Choo over at Wonderfest. He was walking around in his Stormtrooper armour as usual. :p

PS: I've updated the top post with pictures as the ones i posted on macrossnexus when MW was down.

Edited by wolfx