VF-19A - Sort of a step-by-step!

johnybgood18

Hello all...

I have started my second Macross kit yesterday, a VF-19A. This is not a true step-by-step but more like to show the way I build my kits and if people can use some of my tips, well, I'll be glad!

I also do this because it's my second aircraft kit. I build military vehicules and I also paint miniature figurines I use to play wargames. My point is, I lack some skills in plane building and I have almost all Macross kit that has been released so far! I'm only missing 2 and I want to build all of them to the highest standard. I hope that people will be able to point out mistakes i do... give me some hints... etc!

I had some problems with my first one, a VF-1D from the wedding episode.

Well... here goes...

That's it for today... Until next time... Enjoy! B))

Ta ta!

P.S.: I'll change the ISO setting on my cam, I think that the images are a bit grainny!

P.P.S.: Scratch that, can't get a better ISO... already on Auto mode! It'll have to do!

Edited by johnybgood18

Hi again, I'm back for more!

But first, I need some help on deciding what scheme I'll paint this baby up! I bought the Hase option decal sheet with the aggressor VF-19A. I thought it was an amazing idea but... I think there are much better "aggressor scheme" out there (thinking of Viperbite VF-0S! Which I think is just amazing!).

So... can anyone help me out there and send me links, pictures, etc with their idea? or maybe... Viperbite would be kind enough and tell me more about that scheme??? :-)

Well... on to more piccies of the VF-19A under construction!

One thing that I don't understand of this kit is why the hell Hasegawa didn't include a VFX-2 pilot.

I'll be gratefull if you may focus on paint and weathering techs when you are at that point. ;)

Agree. But then Hasegawa would need to make new molds for it, no quite the same as releasing new decals.

The VFX-2 suits are so different from previous generations of suits. Looks kinda retro.

post-23-1104156110_thumb.jpg

One thing that I don't understand of this kit is why the hell Hasegawa didn't include a VFX-2 pilot.

I'll be gratefull if you may focus on paint and weathering techs when you are at that point. ;)

Agree. But then Hasegawa would need to make new molds for it, no quite the same as releasing new decals.

The VFX-2 suits are so different from previous generations of suits. Looks kinda retro.

They did a new pilot for the vf-22S, why don't do the same thing for the vf-19A?

Another one...

This one has the primer done. I used the ACLAD II grey primer... it turned out real bad but I decided to paint the ACLAD II gloss black anyway... after all, it's the first time I'm using this stuff, so why not experiment?

Well... it turned out really ugly and I had to sand everything down. I then resprayed the whole exhausts and engine nacelles Tamiya flat black. The result was a much more smooth finish. I then applied the ACLAD II gloss black.

I used the engine exhaust color for the burnt finish and used steel for the rest. The finish is not perfect but it's the best I can do for now... maybe for another project my skill will be better... who knows!

post-23-1104157640_thumb.jpg

Edited by johnybgood18

They did a new pilot for the vf-22S, why don't do the same thing for the vf-19A?

Because the VF-22S was a macross 7 release which had Max and Milia piloting it. The VFX-2 VF-19A is from some obscure video game.

Her, you have the painted engine exhaust. You can't really see the difference in the finish here... and in real life too! :-/ I'll have to experiment some more... maybe redo the base coat for the other color... but that is for another model!

I would like to thank MW Cheng for all the nice tricks I learned here! You created another monster... shame on you! ;-)

post-23-1104157847_thumb.jpg

Because the VF-22S was a macross 7 release which had Max and Milia piloting it. The VFX-2 VF-19A is from some obscure video game.

Ok, ok, this make sense. ;)

The VF-19A after the first coat of the camo has been applied. There is a few of the under different angles.

This idea of camo came out from a website. This site is from a guy who has his own brand of paint. He has a lot of different camo. It is a variation of the Ferris scheme. Other than that, I have no idea from or what it is exactly. I just thought it was cool!

I tried to stick as close as possible to the FS number of the real thing. I just couldn't find a real match for the dark gray so I had to improvise. The guy does sell it but my problem is time. I'm moving in about 2 weeks and I really want to finish this kit before I move, I couldn't afford to wait for weeks for this paint since it's coming from Europe!

So here goes... any comments are most welcome!

Next step is the clear coat... and I'll try "Future" this time.

post-23-1104361415_thumb.jpg