Repairing a broken part on VF-1S

neko878

Hi everyone!  I just noticed one of my landing gear covers is broken on a Arcadia 1/60 VF-1S I bought last year.  Looks like the little thin tab that holds the cover in broke off.

It is on the left leg towards the top near the reflector.

Does anyone have any spare parts they can sell me or know of a way to repair this?  Thanks!

Full_Size_Render.jpgFull_Size_Render_1.jpg

Even if you have the nub that broke off super glue won't be enough; it'll just snap off again.

The best solution would be to bum a part off another MW member but I can guarantee you're to have a hard time finding a matching color part.

If you want to do self repair, it can be a PITA but you'll need:

• Thumbtack
  • Pin-vise with ~1 MM drill bit
  • Wire or paperclip that's thin enough to fit in ~1mm hole
  • Some sort of hard putty or milliput
  • Fine File or sandpaper
  • Super glue
  • Something that can cut paperclips
  1. Use the file/sandpaper to lightly flatten the area where the nub broke off
  2. Use the thumb-tack and carefully pin the center of the break-area so that there's a small pin-hole in the middle of the area.
  3. Using the pin-hole you made as a guide, use pin-vise to drill into the part. I went about 3 millimeters down.
  4. Make sure your paperclip is flat on the end. If not, use file to flatten it. Alo, score the paperclip by filing it on the sides. This gives better grip for the super-glue.
  5. Put glue on Paperclip, then insert in hole. let cure.
  6. Trim the pin you glued in so that it fits the indent in the leg for The original Peg. (You could theoretically stop at this point, but you'd have a pretty loose landing gear door when open.)
  7. Use Putty / Milliput to fatten up the peg so that it's close to the size of the original peg.
  8. use File / Sandpaper to smoothen the fat peg until it's flush with the gear door and that it fits into the indent for the original peg.

Here's the instruction manual on assembling the leg so you can put everything back together when done.

img242.jpg

On 6/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, Duymon said:

Even if you have the nub that broke off super glue won't be enough; it'll just snap off again.

The best solution would be to bum a part off another MW member but I can guarantee you're to have a hard time finding a matching color part.

If you want to do self repair, it can be a PITA but you'll need:

• Thumbtack
  • Pin-vise with ~1 MM drill bit
  • Wire or paperclip that's thin enough to fit in ~1mm hole
  • Some sort of hard putty or milliput
  • Fine File or sandpaper
  • Super glue
  • Something that can cut paperclips
  1. Use the file/sandpaper to lightly flatten the area where the nub broke off
  2. Use the thumb-tack and carefully pin the center of the break-area so that there's a small pin-hole in the middle of the area.
  3. Using the pin-hole you made as a guide, use pin-vise to drill into the part. I went about 3 millimeters down.
  4. Make sure your paperclip is flat on the end. If not, use file to flatten it. Alo, score the paperclip by filing it on the sides. This gives better grip for the super-glue.
  5. Put glue on Paperclip, then insert in hole. let cure.
  6. Trim the pin you glued in so that it fits the indent in the leg for The original Peg. (You could theoretically stop at this point, but you'd have a pretty loose landing gear door when open.)
  7. Use Putty / Milliput to fatten up the peg so that it's close to the size of the original peg.
  8. use File / Sandpaper to smoothen the fat peg until it's flush with the gear door and that it fits into the indent for the original peg.

Here's the instruction manual on assembling the leg so you can put everything back together when done.

img242.jpg

Thanks for the tip.  Can you post the assembling again?  I dont think it posted.