Frontier Valk Love thread

So, some of my recent toy purchases have ignited some love for the frontier valks.

The VF-171, and the VF-25. I used to hate the VF-25, but the renewal toy kinda made me like it. The VF-171 toy has made me like the VF-171 more than I already did.

The VF-171 is essentially a first generation advanced variable fighter, based on tech specs. So How does it really stack up to the first gen AVF posterchild the VF-19? Which design is better?

I'd like to have a discussion about the AVF's in their own thread rather than in the upgrade thread I started a few months ago.

The VF-171 is essentially a first generation advanced variable fighter, based on tech specs. So How does it really stack up to the first gen AVF posterchild the VF-19? Which design is better?

Well... that's a question of how you want to define "better".

On a lot of levels, the Shinsei Industry VF-19 Excalibur and General Galaxy VF-171 Nightmare Plus are comparable in performance... active stealth, pinpoint barrier, fold booster compatibility, etc.

The key areas of difference and what made the Nightmare Plus a more attractive option than the Excalibur for a lot of local New UN Spacy forces, is in the engine output and ease of control. The VF-19 has substantially greater engine power and greater agility than the VF-171, but at the expense of pushing the limits of the human body's g-force tolerances and being very difficult to control for the average pilot. Even experienced pilots like Isamu had a hard time adapting to the VF-19's extreme maneuverability. That's why the Nightmare Plus became such an attractive option... it was much more stable, and that increase in stability combined with its detuned engines, meant that the Nightmare Plus was a much more forgiving aircraft for inexperienced and average pilots. Being easy on the pilot and highly versatile made the Nightmare Plus a very attractive prospect for next main fighter (and I'm sure its cost performance being better didn't hurt any feelings either).

In terms of raw performance, the VF-19 is "better"... unless you intend to have pilots who are less than exceptional flying it, in which case the stability and ease of control of the Nightmare Plus arguably makes it the better aircraft.

So the VF-19 is really relegated the role of hero mech, being high performance and having the better performance, while the VF-171 is the better option for a main VF?

So the VF-19 is more akin to the F-16/F-18 where both were designed with negative static stability, and need computers to keep them from departing controlled flight, where as the VF-171 is more akin to the F-15, where it is statically stable, requires less computerization, and can be operated more easily?

Or in other words, a sports car vs an F1 car?

The VF-19 isn't an airplane, it's several thousand parts flying in an unstable formation, and the only thing it wants to do after rolling off the line, is kill you...

Edited by Valkyrie Driver

So the VF-19 is really relegated the role of hero mech, being high performance and having the better performance, while the VF-171 is the better option for a main VF?

Pretty much, yeah... because the VF-19's performance makes it extremely difficult to control, even after the design was modified for easier use, and the VF-171 is pretty much the Goldilocks plane in that respect.

Or in other words, a sports car vs an F1 car?

Eh... I think a better comparison might be more like a family car vs. an Indy car.

The Indy car is very, VERY fast but it's only really useful for going really fast and it's only really good for a few things... and if you lose control of it for a second, you're going to be in a bad place. The family car might not go as fast, but you COULD do most of the same things an Indy car does with it if you really wanted to, and it can do a lot of other things the Indy car can't

The VF-19 isn't an airplane, it's several thousand parts flying in an unstable formation, and the only thing it wants to do after rolling off the line, is kill you...

Considering the YF-19 managed to maim two test pilots and KILL two more before Isamu got his hands on it, I think that's fair...