Macross Frontier Girls Part 2

Vinnie

This is a poll up to episode 10, will post again in another 5 episodes.  

276 members have voted

1. 1. This Frontier Girl is my favorite so far....

• Sheryl Nome
    • Klan Klan
    • Ranka Lee
    • Nanase Matsuura
    • Cathy Glass
    • Nene Rora
    • Raramia Rerenia
    • Monica Lange
    • Mina Roshan
    • Grace O'Connor
    • Kanaria Berstein
    • Ram Hoa
    • All of the above one at a time again, just to be sure.
    • All the Zentraedi Babes (Pixie Sq) at once!
    • None of the above.
    • Dude these are cartoon characters. You guys are sick!
    • Still not sure.

Actually it's pretty even in Japan for both girls. I've seen a few online polls and they won one each, for magazine pols Sheryl has been in the lead both Newtype polls that the Macross characters have been in, Sheryl made the first Animage poll that Macross F featured in, Ranka pulled ahead of her there in the second. The Sheryl single is going to outsell the Ranka single by a pretty big margin but that's probably got more to do with the quality of songs, Official Macross BBS was pretty much pro Sheryl after her "decline" in episode 12.

It's probably how they want them to be.. not like western and Chinese forums were they are overwhelming in favor of Sheryl.

It may no longer be truth. Dude. Sheryl's popularity is soarring, Sheryl's popularity has been soaring from day 1. It's only a matter where did her popularity start. In en community, it's from not-good to very good; in cn community, it's from high to very high; in jp community, I'm not sure how it looked like in earlier days, it seems Sheryl's and Ranka's popularity are quite on par about one or two months ago, but I'm quite sure Sheryl should have upperhand now.

Here are 3 jp polls held on a very same site, starting from Mar 31, May 21 and July 7, respectively. It is, of course, not a good indicator of jp people's preference of characters in general, but it can be a good sample for how characters' popularity goes through the course of time. (note: the voting system is quite similiar to AS forum's poll, that is to say, you can cast multiple votes in one shot.)

http://www.vote5.net/anime/htm/1206894587.html

Mar 31 poll, Sheryl 1st, Ranka 2nd, Alto 3rd. Gaps among 3 mains were little, but the gap between mains and rest was large.

http://www.vote5.net/anime/htm/1211369207.html

May 21 poll, Sheryl 1st, Alto 2nd, Ranka 5th. Sheryl started to pull away from the rest; Alto took a step up to 2nd, but the advantage over supportive characters was nearly gone; Ranka was overran by Alto and 2 supportives, Klan Klan and Brera.

http://www.vote5.net/anime/htm/1215357986.html

July 7 poll. For a younger than two weeks poll, it's still too early to carve its result on stone. But so far we see, Sheryl enjoys a ratio (about 70%) resembled to AS poll; Klan Klan rise to 2nd with an impressive margin over Brera, the current owner of 3rd place; Alto drops to 5th; Ranka, on the other hand, DISAPPEARS from top 10 (it took me a while to find out where's her).

I read from someone who knows jp that some Ranka fans starts to complain about Ranka, suggesting she should pay more attention to people other than her princess. Frankly, Ranka is an open book, most, if not all her charms (cute looks, cute singing, low-self-esteem, a damsel in distress with possibility to grow strong) were shown or expectable from day 1. In other words, little potential for her to grow popularity. Sheryl is another story. She is complex, having more than showing. She always has something new in sleeve, she can always pull out some unexpected. While I have seen many netural-or-anti-Sheryl-people-turned-Sheryl-fans, but yet to see any in another way around.

At current rate, I expect the popularity demographics at the time the series ends would be no big difference in anywhere in the world.

Edited by herbert