The Valkyrie Transformation Demonstration

mbs357

Wondering if this got any further than I know of.

A while back on the old forums someone created a program that demonstrates a VF-1A's transformation and modes in a 3D DOS-like program. It was written by Chris Glasnapp, I don't know his MW name.

I don't believe he gave releases versions, so I'll have to describe the last version I saw: I believe missles were added, and a more fancier wing sweep mode, where the plane banked and angled and the thrusters opened.

If this was already brought up on the new boards, I apologize; I did a search that yielded nothing.

A while back on the old forums someone created a program that demonstrates a VF-1A's transformation and modes in a 3D DOS-like program.  It was written by Chris Glasnapp, I don't know his MW name.

I don't believe he gave releases versions, so I'll have to describe the last version I saw:  I believe missles were added, and a more fancier wing sweep mode, where the plane banked and angled and the thrusters opened.

If this was already brought up on the new boards, I apologize; I did a search that yielded nothing.

That was me!

I'm Chris Glasnapp! : )

Anywho, it didn't get any further than what you remember it being.

I coded up the program and did the original model. Some other people fiddled around with my clunky animation to make it look much cooler. Other than that, nothing happened.

Unfortunately, real life interfered and I haven't been able to pursue my creative outlets very much anymore. : (

I had much grander ideas, such as smooth animation through the use of bezier animation paths. Perhaps i'll get back to it someday... I'll be sure to post anything I do, but don't hold your breath.

If you the source or anything, just shoot me an e-mail and i'll send it on over. It was written in C++ using the OpenGL and Glut APIs.

You can reach me at: cglasnap@vt.edu

Have a good one,

-cmg_cobra

Dude good work! I added some music to it, but I don't have a place to put the file. Its about 10 meg. The song I added is called Way Out by orbital, I ajusted the timing in the into just a little to match the music a little better, but that is all I have done.

A while back on the old forums someone created a program that demonstrates a VF-1A's transformation and modes in a 3D DOS-like program.  It was written by Chris Glasnapp, I don't know his MW name.

I don't believe he gave releases versions, so I'll have to describe the last version I saw:  I believe missles were added, and a more fancier wing sweep mode, where the plane banked and angled and the thrusters opened.

That was me!

I'm Chris Glasnapp! : )

Anywho, it didn't get any further than what you remember it being.

I coded up the program and did the original model. Some other people fiddled around with my clunky animation to make it look much cooler. Other than that, nothing happened.

Unfortunately, real life interfered and I haven't been able to pursue my creative outlets very much anymore. : (

I had much grander ideas, such as smooth animation through the use of bezier animation paths. Perhaps i'll get back to it someday... I'll be sure to post anything I do, but don't hold your breath.

If you the source or anything, just shoot me an e-mail and i'll send it on over. It was written in C++ using the OpenGL and Glut APIs.

You can reach me at: cglasnap@vt.edu

Have a good one,

-cmg_cobra

Alrighty! Thanks for the feedback, it was a neat little proggie. I hope you get the chance to do what you want with it one day.

Unfortunatly I can't do anything with the source code until I find some (inexpsenive (ie: free)) way of learning C++ (like online maybe). =]

Edited by mbs357

Alrighty!  Thanks for the feedback, it was a neat little proggie.  I hope you get the chance to do what you want with it one day.

Unfortunatly I can't do anything with the source code until I find some (inexpsenive (ie: free)) way of learning C++ (like online maybe).  =]

I'd suggest a C++ book to start out with. I'm sure you can pick one up for pretty cheap somewhere!

An intro level book will give you the necessary background more than a website will.

Although not all web pages are created equally, so I may be wrong. ; )

Personally, I'd highly recommend C++ as a first language. It's not the most forgiving language, but it lays the foundation for many of the advanced aspects of the computer science field. I am, of course, quite masochistic, so take my advance with a grain of salt. ; )

Feel free to e-mail me with questions if you start learning C++!

-cmg_cobra

Alrighty!  Thanks for the feedback, it was a neat little proggie.  I hope you get the chance to do what you want with it one day.

Unfortunatly I can't do anything with the source code until I find some (inexpsenive (ie: free)) way of learning C++ (like online maybe).  =]

I'd suggest a C++ book to start out with. I'm sure you can pick one up for pretty cheap somewhere!

An intro level book will give you the necessary background more than a website will.

Although not all web pages are created equally, so I may be wrong. ; )

Personally, I'd highly recommend C++ as a first language. It's not the most forgiving language, but it lays the foundation for many of the advanced aspects of the computer science field. I am, of course, quite masochistic, so take my advance with a grain of salt. ; )

Feel free to e-mail me with questions if you start learning C++!

-cmg_cobra

Thanks for the info and assistance!

I'll look for a book, hopefully it won't be too much. I'm poorer than uh...poor people. >_>