Old School Board Game

Solscud007

hey Nick, is that yours? Or a picture you got off of the internet? If it is yours, how much did you it for and where did you get it? What little figures does it come with as game pieces? Looks pretty cool! :p:D:lol:

Looks like he linked it to a Yahoo-Japan auction with 3-days to go (as of this post) 2000 Yen.

Graham's got a PIC of the cardboard pieces....does this game come with plastic figs, too?

Wish they made a Macross Game similar to my Dougram:Battle of Stanrey. :rolleyes:

As an old-school wargamer and Macross fan, I'd really like to get that one, as well as the other Macross games that Tsukuda Hobbies made. But the incidental costs of buying through Yahoo Japan have stopped me so far, and there's also the cost of also getting the things translated.

Tsukuda is a pretty well-known wargame manufacturer. They're known for making historical wargames similar to the Avalon Hill/SPI/GDW variety, and several of them have been imported/distributed in the US with translated rules. Typically these games include a foldout paper map, fairly involved rules (although the rules might not be as detailed for a scifi game as for a game on WWII battleships or modern tanks), and square cardboard playing pieces. Miniatures are almost never included.

Miniatures are almost never included.

That's too bad as some metal miniatures of Destroids and Regults/Glaugs along with the 1st-person view periscopes like the Dougram games would have be fun for some land battles.

Even more info at these pages:

http://dougram.battletechnology.org/Dougra...delsAndToys.htm

http://www.gamepile.com/game09.html

Apparently published by Takara.

And in researching the Tsukuda games, I found to my surprise that they've done a LOT of scifi games, including Star Trek, Star Wars, ORGUSS, and MOSPEADA!

Now I've found another reason to learn Japanese.

You can look over at ToyboxDX for the pics below - I only own Stanrey. While I've only attempted to play this a couple times a few years ago (I can't seem to get my wife to play this game :blink::p ), it's pretty basic. (Now i'm going strictly from memory here, so be nice...)

There are over 20 scaled metal miniatures of the Dougram mecha, over a dozen scaled plastic trees, 2 small periscopes, a die, and the hexed-grid cardboard sheets. You set up the sheets, each person picks a side - "Fang of the Sun" guerillas or the Earth Federation. You then split up the trees and you can place them where you'd ilke on the board and then position your mecha behind a starting line.

Play envolves each player moving or initaiting combat on their turn with the die used for whether your are successful or not. You then roll for damage and so on. The usual limitations are in place for each type of mecha: Movement of certain terrains, distance per turn, Weapon Range, armor, etc.....

The fun part is the periscopes. When you move your unit to a spot within firing range of an adversary and there's a tree and/or damaged mecha between you and your target, you place the periscope in the same grid and same orientation to get a "pilot's eye" view if you can actually take the shot. Sometimes a shoulder is sticking out behind a tree and you're able to shoot, but if blocked you have to wait to move again. (you can see a graphic of this on the Kalnock pic below.)

Although I'm not a heavy-gamer, I may not be a good reviewer, but I thought it was pretty good to play and not too complicated. Would be pretty nice having some Monsters, Glaugs, and so forth roaming around in 3-D. :D

stanrey.jpg

kalnock.jpg

Even more info at these pages:

http://dougram.battletechnology.org/Dougra...delsAndToys.htm

http://www.gamepile.com/game09.html

Apparently published by Takara.

And in researching the Tsukuda games, I found to my surprise that they've done a LOT of scifi games, including Star Trek, Star Wars, ORGUSS, and MOSPEADA!

Now I've found another reason to learn Japanese.

Great links!!

Wish I had seen these prior to my post......would've saved me some blisters. :p

I also like the custom rules and counters....thanks again!

This is the only other reference I've found on the net, aside from some very uninformative listings at Boardgamegeek.

http://gundam.aeug.org/archives/2000/04/0095.html

It sounds like the Macross games (and even Dougram) were quite unlike Battletech in that BT units typically take massive amounts of damage (marked off on diagrams showing subsystems if I'm not mistaken) before dying. The Tsukuda/Takara games sound like they were faster-moving.