Generator Gawl

areaseven

gawlcover.jpgadv12.jpg

Generator Gawl ( ジェネレイター ガウル )

Tatsunoko/TV Tokyo/Victor Entertainment, 1998

ADV Films, 2001-2002

Directed by Seiji Mizushima (Dai-Guard, ZAION: I Wish You Were Here).

Rated 12-Up for violence, mature situations and mild language.

Three men from the distant future are sent to modern day Tokyo to save the world from a potential threat to mankind. It won't be an easy task as they only have three months to accomplish this mission.

Story: C

There are some that like this series and some that don't. Personally, I wasn't too impressed with Generator Gawl as I fell asleep halfway through disc 1.

Animation: B-

The artwork and animation look pretty weird and are not as groundbreaking as other titles released at the same time it came out. Character designs by Akira Oguro. Generator designs by Yasuhira Moriki. Mechanical designs by Kenji Teraoka (.hack//SIGN, Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex).

Soundtrack: B-

Not good enough to warrant a CD purchase, especially with the sub-par opening theme, "I Want Out" by Yuki Saga. Music by Norimasa Yamanaka (Appleseed, Weiß Kreuz).

Sub vs. Dub

Generator Gawl features Nobutoshi Canna (Basara in Macross 7, Guts in Berserk) as Gawl, Shinichiro Miki (Takumi in Initial D, Allen in Escaflowne) as Koji, Tsutomu Kashiwakura (McDougal in Outlaw Star) as Ryo, Hideyuki Hori (Kyoji/Schwartz in Mobile Fighter G-Gundam) as Kanae, Satsuki Yukino (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!, Nenene in R.O.D -The TV- as Masami, Yuriko Yamaguchi (Ritsuko in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Reiko in Outlaw Star) as Ryuko, and Konami Yoshida (Metal Fighter Miku, Umi in Magic Knight Rayearth) as Natsume.

ADV provided a less-than-stellar English dub. But then again, most of ADV's dubs are like that.

DVD Extras: B-

Disc 1 has character & mecha sketches and a trailer.

The Bottom Line

Generator Gawl is not for everyone. Rent it first, then decide whether or not you want to continue the series.

Links

Tatsunoko's Official Generator Gawl Homepage

ADV Films' Generator Gawl Perfect Collection Homepage

Reference

Anime News Network