Looking for some 3D Artists for a short film

chillyche

Okay, so, right off the bat, I apologize for making a completely non-macross related post. But, hear me out, and it might make some sense...

As some of you know, I make my living as a camera assistant on independent features (with the occasional commercial, music video, short, or editing gig on the side). Recently I've been segueing into shooting, and this summer I'm DPing a short film that has need of some VFX. The deal is this: on set, I meet a lot of production people, crew people, but not so many post folks. But here on Macross World, I've seen an incredible pool of talent, from professionals and hobbyists and passionate amateurs and everything in between. The film I'm working on has a ridiculously small budget (I was told to cut my very modest lighting request IN HALF), but it's about dreams and reality fusing, so it has need of some visual effects. A lot of it we're doing in a more old-fashioned in-camera trickery kinda way, but there's a sequence which the only reasonable way to accomplish it -- on a budget -- is to use CGI.

It goes like this. A woman kneeling on the floor is swarmed with insects. What? Not valks? No, not valks, not destroids, not even TV helmets or variant paint schemes. Nothing Macross-ish at all. But again, this community is home to some fantastic artists. I'm basically asking if anybody would like to take a SHOT at this. Maybe even whip up a spec model? I can't promise any pay (I'm not a producer, but I'm fighting for this, versus animatronics or stop motion which I think will cost more in the long run and be less likely to look good on this kinda budget). What I can promise, if I can convince the producer and director to go along with this, is a credit. It's a kind of a joke in the indie scene (no pay, but great crew, a credit, and a copy of the film when it's done!) but that's the deal now.

For those of you that do in-game models, this is well below your pay grade. WELL below it. I reduced my own DP rate by a third so we could hire a key grip with a shred of experience. And my AC will be working for free, as a resume building. But for anybody who just wants to pitch in and make something fun, flex their CGI muscle at all, this might be for you.

I'm posting it here in fan works, versus one of the other sections, because you guys are the MWers that I know and know what you're capable of. If that's over-stepping the line, then I apologize, and we can move this post elsewhere.

If you're interested at all, send me a PM, or heck, just respond here. Whatever.

Thanks everybody.

I'm not sure, i'm no expert, but i guess it could be done with adobe after effects, you record the lady, then render all the insects at 3d, then mix them at after effects..

I can't promisse anything, i could even try to do it, but i'm not sure if my current skills would give good realistic images, but if no one else is going to try, then i may take a shot...

Do you need it done fast?

Don't need the final effect too quickly. But I do need sort of a test shot pretty soon. I can provide a simple background shot, and you (and anybody else who'd like to give it a shot) can just make a single bug. I can do the compositing. Heck, I could even render it if you save the bug as an fbx file.