Tips for building VF-27 gamma Lucifer Valkyrie

neostrata

Hello all

Just got poisoned into collecting macross recently. Decided to start off with a frontier kit. Probably a DX or Yamato later on :rolleyes:

Some 1/72 macross Frontier kits are on sale at HLJ at the moment so I got myself a VF-27!!! :lol: on its way at the moment

I have been snap fitting Master Grade gundams for the past few years. Just normal snap fit, dry decal application, minor painting using gundam markers and panel lining. Nothing extravagant to the extent of using paints and air brushes. Guess I will be doing the same with this macross kit with the exception of trying out water slide decals ^_^

Was wondering if some of the great modelers out there could drop me a tip or two? I saw this review of the VF-27 and it looks awesome!!

http://schizophonic9.com/vf27.html

Well I don't expect to achieve that result with the current experience I have but something decent would be nice. I plan to apply as many water-slide decals as possible (just hate the stickers..... they peel off especially on uneven surfaces after some time :ph34r: ) . Since its my first time, would it be necessary to get a mark setter and mark softer for the decals?

Oh and regarding top-coat, the VF-27 in pictures of the review look a little shiny. Could he have probably used Semi-gloss? Or would matt make the kit look nicer.

Hope to hear from you guys. Cheers from UK :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Hello all

Just got poisoned into collecting macross recently. Decided to start off with a frontier kit. Probably a DX or Yamato later on :rolleyes:

Some 1/72 macross Frontier kits are on sale at HLJ at the moment so I got myself a VF-27!!! :lol: on its way at the moment

I have been snap fitting Master Grade gundams for the past few years. Just normal snap fit, dry decal application, minor painting using gundam markers and panel lining. Nothing extravagant to the extent of using paints and air brushes. Guess I will be doing the same with this macross kit with the exception of trying out water slide decals ^_^

Was wondering if some of the great modelers out there could drop me a tip or two? I saw this review of the VF-27 and it looks awesome!!

http://schizophonic9.com/vf27.html

Well I don't expect to achieve that result with the current experience I have but something decent would be nice. I plan to apply as many water-slide decals as possible (just hate the stickers..... they peel off especially on uneven surfaces after some time :ph34r: ) . Since its my first time, would it be necessary to get a mark setter and mark softer for the decals?

Oh and regarding top-coat, the VF-27 in pictures of the review look a little shiny. Could he have probably used Semi-gloss? Or would matt make the kit look nicer.

Hope to hear from you guys. Cheers from UK :lol:

The best I can tell you about what I saw is the plane battroid and gerwalk are all sanded down going from a course grit of sand paper and carefully cutting of the pieces from the sprues. There weren't and visible seams and each area on the body seem to fit well so there maybe some puttying to bolster or improve the sharpness of the lines. You can of course do this by sanding with fine sand paper. The color was really vivid yet it was done with a primer possibly Tamiya spray primer? I'm not sure. The colors seem to go from darker and opaque to a more translucent color to bolster a pristine finish. The surface I don't think was buffed using a buffing tool but it can be done and if you use cosmetic buffing tools. I've found that some of my better work comes when I either use a cosmetic tool or a retrofitted tool from a hobby store. If you want to make the gamma I would mix some colors in photoshop or check the colors of The Lucifer Gamma at a local hobby store. Oh. If you want a matte or semigloss finish to your liking use a double action airbrush and test the misture of matte to gloss so the proper finish on your craft can be applied. It adds a final touch which makes your finished model that much more satisfying.