Macross Zero Blu ray Box Review

Macross007

Someone did an interesting review and find out that the Macross Zero Blu Ray Box was not all in 1080p glory ...

Envoy the review nevertheless : http://linkai8424.spaces.live.com/blog/cns...5!664.entry

It's impossible for Macross Zero to take full advantage of Blu-ray because it was created digitally at a lower resolution. The only way for it to be truly HD would have been to completely reanimate the entire series from scratch. This is a problem for all digital animation not created in HD. Still, it will still look somewhat better on Blu-ray than DVD because Blu-ray uses much better compression codecs and much higher bitrates.

Even today just about all animation is created around 720p level of detail instead of 1080P - even really big budget releases like Rebuild of Evangelion (not to mention Macross Frontier).

Edited by hissatsu

Firstly, I second what Hissatsu said.

And secondly - to put it politely, screw this guy. I mean, seriously. I've owned this box set since it came out and am watching it on a professionally tuned 41" Aquos and it blows me away everytime I watch it. The colours are stunning and the details jump right out at you.

Sure, I might not be heavily into the technical side of the authoring of the disc, but I'm pretty darn picky about the quality of what I watch, especially at Japanese blu-ray prices. This set didnt disappoint and makes me wonder if this guy was too busy measuring bitrates and pumping out graphs to actually sit back and enjoy the show itself.