Real world practicality. Legs vs wheels. Ball and chain weapons swords

marx

We've all seen it. It's why most of us are here. Robots that walk, punch, hack and slash. I can totally understand how these are exciting plot elements yet I have to wonder if there is any real world pracitcality to it. Lets start with just building giant robots. Building a tall robot is like building a giant target. It's easy to see, very visible. Most militaries today prefer a certain amount of stealth. I'm sure there are some advantages to to being high. Being higher can improve communications and would also give a better perspective of the battlefield. But still, the robot is a giant walking target. Giant robots aren't going to be able to perform any sneak attacks. Then there is this thing about legs. I have to wonder if having legs offers any advantages. Legs allow traversing rugged terrain much more easily. Yet old fashioned Wheel technology seems so basic and efficient and wheels could traverse simple terrain at greater speed than legs ever can. Having legs might cause problems for infantry but seem like a complicated technological risk. Whatabout robots with heads? Why have a head on a robot? Seems that they have a head merely for stylistic reasons. Sensors could be placed in other areas of the robot. Why would robots have hands if they are built for combat. I think having canons for arms seems more reasonable than having hands that hold some type of hand gun. It would also allow more efficient design because there would be fewer systems to fail. What happens if the trigger finger breaks on your robot? It seems there are many ways to make a robot combat ineffective. Just taking out a leg with a mine or tripping it could take the robot out of the fight rather easily. How well can a bot handle on ice or slippery terrain. Also when we see bayonets, swords, and ball and chain weapons. Are these even realistic weapons to be using? No doubt a ball and chain is a dangerous thing but to be able to move a heavy object like a giant ball at dangerous speeds would require a lot of energy on part of the robot. A gun or missile seems more effective than a ball a chain. When would hand to hand combat happen with such huge robots, surely they'd see each other and start shooting before they ever got close enough to pull out some kind of cyber lance or mace.

I'm interested in your thoughts.

In regards to a lot of what you say, these are the reasons while MOSPEADAs are the only real military robotic mecha that ever made real-world sense to me.