Podcast: Gandahar a.k.a. Light Years

Ginrai

We have a new podcast about GANDAHAR, also known as Light Years.

http://www.destroyallpodcastsdx.com

This is a crazy French cartoon movie about a chick with wings growing of her head, a dude with blue hair, giant crabs, empty black robots, the slowest form of time travel ever (we put you in a capsule in the bottom of the ocean and you wait there for a thousand years, kind of like JEAN GREY), and as advertised, a giant penis-brain FROM THE FUTURE... and also the past. OR SOMETHING.

Wow, how did you get the director in this? The day you get Mamoru Oshii as a guest will be the greatest day ever.

Anyway, I remember seeing this movie a few years ago, it was really trippy (and I saw it in French with Japanese subtitles, adding to the bizarro-meter), but it was on very early in the morning and I had to go to bed before the end. I always intended to see the ending.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry to disappoint you, but that was a joke. :)

[...]

Laloux being dead since 2004, it would have been difficult to do otherwise... :)

I really like this director, and since my very childhood when I saw Time Masters with my cousin. Fantastic Planet interested me less even if it's a deeper story and a far much more personnal art style. But all this is probably related to nostalgia anyway

Light Years... Well, it disappointed me since the very first time I watched it: Caza's art doesn't work well on the big screen IMO and the animation quality looked very average to me. Later, I read the book this movie is inspired from (Jean-Pierre Andrevon is a very famous SF writer in France...) and it interested me more, even if it isn't a masterpiece neither

Light Years... Well, it disappointed me since the very first time I watched it: Caza's art doesn't work well on the big screen IMO and the animation quality looked very average to me. Later, I read the book this movie is inspired from (Jean-Pierre Andrevon is a very famous SF writer in France...) and it interested me more, even if it isn't a masterpiece neither

Well, like we said on the podcasts, Gandahar's animation is not as impressive as Time Masters', but Time Masters has a shitty story and annoying kid sidekick who whines through the whole movie and that deus ex machina ending blows. The only really interesting part in Time Masters is the naked angel sequence. Gandahar builds nearly the entire movie around something as weird as the naked angel/lava lamp thing, giant brain-penis from the future! Really, the lava lamp is obviously an early prototype of brain-penis. We are going to do Fantastic Planet soon. I mean, I've seen it before, but not for years, so it'll be interesting to see how I feel about it as an adult.

Edited by Ginrai

Well, like we said on the podcasts, Gandahar's animation is not as impressive as Time Masters', but Time Maters has a shitty story and annoying kid sidekick who whines through the whole movie and that deus ex machina ending blows. [...]

That's the main problem of Stefan Wul's novels: this guy never learnt how to end his stories :p On the other hand, I didn't find the little Piel annoying: it was rather realistically presented actually; what a young boy is supposed to do when he's lost onto such planet anyway ?

To be honnest, I don't remember a lot of things about Light Years, just that it was boring. Maybe I should watch it again... :)

That's the main problem of Stefan Wul's novels: this guy never learnt how to end his stories :p On the other hand, I didn't find the little Piel annoying: it was rather realistically presented actually; what a young boy is supposed to do when he's lost onto such planet anyway ?

Maybe it's realistic, but it's still annoying. Perhaps this is just flawed on a conceptual level. I don't always hate kid sidekicks, but this one I sure did.

To be honnest, I don't remember a lot of things about Light Years, just that it was boring. Maybe I should watch it again... :)

Yeah, give it another shot!