Scratch-Building Materials and Basics:

MangledMess

Hey guys and gals(... is there in MW?)!

I wasn't sure where to put this, since this isn't completely Macross-related, and this is basically a post about model-building, so I think this is the best place to put it, I think. Since I don't know where or what to do, I guess some of you might know, so I try my luck with this post. ^^;

Ok, I KIND OF know the basics of sculpting. I once did a table-top board game project in college that needed small figures and used paper clay(hardens fast, but fragile) to sculpt the pieces. I do know, though, when it comes to planning to build a dream mech/car/jet/transforming vehicle/babe sculpt, I need to plan it out on pencil and paper.

But since this is gonna be my actual foray of scratch-building mecha and other figures that has some fuctions to them(pivots, fingers, joints):

1) What do I have to do to? Is there a Scratch-Building 101?

2) What basic materials and tools do I need? I know I need styrene for straight rectangular parts, and I think epoxy putty was mentioned as being used to sculpt parts that are roundish or organic. Is there more to this than meets the eye? Oops, TF ref. XD

3) What should I NOT do when scratch building?

Thank you, people. Sorry to bother you with this Macross-less post. :D

This enquiry is brought to by this poster's frustrations of not being able to find a toy or design that he wants or cannot afford. *cough*wanzers*cough*

Edited by MangledMess

Basically you're asking questions that have no right or wrong answers. Good scratchbuilding begins with good plans. They are half the battle. Then your materials should be tough, but easily machined. Epoxy putties like Aves and Milliput are excellent for smaller subjects - Bondo is good for larger subjects. Right angles and conformity to measurements are important, but so is the ability to generate smooth compound curves. Check out some of John Moscato's build-ups. He uses a lot of Renshape or Ciba-Geigy board - which is excellent stuff, but expensive - for block sculpting. His work is quite inspirational.

Basically you're asking questions that have no right or wrong answers. Good scratchbuilding begins with good plans. They are half the battle. Then your materials should be tough, but easily machined. Epoxy putties like Aves and Milliput are excellent for smaller subjects - Bondo is good for larger subjects. Right angles and conformity to measurements are important, but so is the ability to generate smooth compound curves. Check out some of John Moscato's build-ups. He uses a lot of Renshape or Ciba-Geigy board - which is excellent stuff, but expensive - for block sculpting. His work is quite inspirational.

Ah, maybe that's the question I should have posed. How do you handle epoxy putty? And what do you mean by 'machined'? You mean I have to use some sort of high-powered tool? Because I figured I could just sculpt the putty with tools like hobby knives, carving tools, bare hands, etc.

EDIT: Sorry if the question sounded stupid, but I'm clueless about the use of Epoxy putty.

Edited by MangledMess

www.milliput.com will get you started. Just google milliput technique or aves technique and I'm sure some pointers will evolve. Mori-mori is also of interest. You need to get some and just experiment - although perhaps Aves is more suitable for this as it costs less! Edited by PetarB