Planetess

areaseven

planetess.jpg13up.gif

ΠΛΑΝΗΤΕΣ ( プラネテス )

Sunrise/NHK/Bandai Visual, 2002-2003

Bandai Entertainment, 2005

Directed by Goro Taniguchi (s-CRY-ed, Infinite Ryvius).

Rated 13-Up for violence, mature situations and strong language.

A.D. 2075 - Seven years after a space flight accident, orbital debris collecting has been made mandatory to prevent further mishaps and to further advance space exploration development. Twenty-year-old Ai Tanabe joins Technora's Debris section and learns that it's not an easy job being an astronaut.

Story: C+

At first, I was fascinated by how cool the artwork looks. But within the first five minutes, I got confused and bored at the same time. A sci-fi title about garbage collectors in space is really hard to swallow. Not to mention that the first episode is filled with countless bickering between the main characters Tanabe and Hachimaki. Perhaps the next episode will improve the whole situation.

Animation: A+

For a minute, I thought this was a theatrical release. Planetess boasts some outstanding artwork and animation that looks high-budget. Character designs by Yuriko Senba (To Heart). Mechanical designs by Takeshi Takakura (Heat Guy J, Martian Successor Nadesico) and Koichi Nakatani.

Soundtrack: B

Kotaro Nakagawa's (s-CRY-ed, Geobreeders) BGM is okay, but hardly noticeable.

Cast

Planetess features Satsuki Yukino (Kaname in Full Metal Panic!, Nenene in R.O.D The TV) as Tanabe, Kazunari Tanaka (Kou in Soul Hunter) as Hachimaki, Ai Orikasa (Ryoko in Tenchi Muyo!, Ayame in Sakura Wars) as Fee, Maiko Ito (Mamoru in King of Braves GaoGaiGar) as Eldegard, Takehito Koyasu (Il Palazzo in Excel Saga, Gamlin in Macross 7) as Yuri, Kumiko Watanabe (Shippo in Inu-Yasha) as Claire, Masayo Kurata (Karinka in Steel Angel Kurumi, Shinobu in Love Hina) as Lucy, Nobuyuki Hiyama (Shiro in Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, Guy in GaoGaiGar) as Chenshin, Ryo Kamon as Dorf, Aikou Ogata as Philip, and Tetsuo Goto as Arvind.

The Bottom Line

The first episode seems to be as cluttered as space debris, but I still have high hopes for this series.

Links

Planetes Web (Japanese)

Reference

Anime News Network

Edited by areaseven