Shall We Dance?

justvinnie

As a big time dancing enthusiast, I must shamefully admit that I have only finally seen this cinema gem today. It was so cute and funny. It's not your standard chick flick. I think it has something to entertain people of all age.

I a bit upset that they are adapting it for an American audience with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez. I just don't see how the will pull it off. The cultural differences will take a way a lot of the humor. The narrator at the beginning is correct is his assessment of how many Asian cultures view ballroom dancing. Take that away from the atmosphere and suddenly the film loses alot of substance.

Anyone care to comment?

vinnie

As a big time dancing enthusiast, I must shamefully admit that I have only finally seen this cinema gem today. It was so cute and funny. It's not your standard chick flick. I think it has something to entertain people of all age.

I a bit upset that they are adapting it for an American audience with Richard Gere and Jennifer Lopez. I just don't see how the will pull it off. The cultural differences will take a way a lot of the humor. The narrator at the beginning is correct is his assessment of how many Asian cultures view ballroom dancing. Take that away from the atmosphere and suddenly the film loses alot of substance.

Anyone care to comment?

vinnie

The recording studio I worked for about 3 years back had U-Matic copies of Shall We Dance. I had it copied over to VHS coz I loved the darn story so much.

You are right, it was very cute and CAN cater to all ages. Within the first 15 minutes I was hooked on it.

The Dance Instructor in the original was very beautiful, and not to mention TALL, and now these Hollywood mofo's are gonna have J-Lo butt to play her? <_<

What a joke! :rolleyes:

Jeez!

I have no idea how old it is, but's been out for a whiles now. I'm trying to locate a DVD version to purchase...

vinnie

PS: I have never laughed so hard in a movie as when the girl tells Mr. Aoki "I can't be your partner. Your dancing... your dancing... it... IT CREEPS ME OUT!"

Love the film too, hollywood would not do it justice if they adapt it. Imagine the cultural difference, that alone will ruin the fun factor of the movie.

No kidding. It would be impossible to translate how dancing is view in old world Asiatic cultures into an American setting. It would be impossible to translate how Mr. Sugiyama getting married at 28, having his first born at 30 and buying a house at 40 is causing the change in him and why he has to be so serious.

vinnie

PS: I think you mean injustice

Edited by justvinnie

Otaru and I worked at the same recording studio for the same number of years, so we both saw Shall We Dance, and you are right, Mr. Aoki was extremely funny. He rocked in Sumo Do, Sumo Don't.

What will happen with Shall We Dance when adapted by Hollywood is the same with everything else Hollywood adapts , it turns to poo! :angry: