Cyclops Morality

Kelsain

I'm working my way through Macross 7 now, and just got through the conclusion of the planet Lux/Rax story arc. It struck me as I watched Gigil, singing Basara's songs and sacrificing himself for Sivil - that he's not the only one-eyed fellow in Macross who's come around to the light. Breetai too, was seduced by the power of culture and turned against his Zentradei superiors.

In both cases, it was not just the music that turned them around, but I think it was love. Clearly, Gigil loved Sivil, and saw Basara's music as a tool to revive her, he then became affected by Basara's persistence and ultimately came about, and expressed this through singing. If I recall, Breetai was not overly swayed by Minmei's music, but more the effect that culture had on his troops. I think he loved the Zentradei under his command - he respected them at least - setting him apart from leaders like Kamjin and Bodolza. It was the impending destruction of all his soldiers that led him to sign the truce with Gloval and fight against the Bodol Fleet.

Is there a signifigance to to the fact that both of these guys had only one real eye and one cybernetic? Are there other such characters who make similar changes in other series or movies? Is there possibly a root in Japanese culture to a one-eyed turncoat who saved the day?