Looking for info on Zamac

Back in the mid '80s I discovered Macross and anime in general as a result of my local model shop stocking the Imai/Arii kits, among the Macross kits were a number of other Imai kits from a range titled Megaro Zamac. I aquired a few more Zamac kits in the years that followed and as far as I am aware the 9 that I have are the entire range. While I have learned quite a bit about Macross in the 2 decades since I bought those first kits, my knowledge of Zamac has not increased at all. To the best of my knowledge there was no anime or manga series associated with the range. There is some Japanese text on the sides of the boxes which looks as though it might be explanatory but it is beyond my ability to read it. I did spot katakana saying Artmic in the copyright info on the assembly instructions. I think that they were perhaps a 'mechsploitation' range produced to cash in on the popularity of giant robot kits at that time.

Google searches turned up a couple of web-pages with photos of the kits built by other people but no information on the background to the models. Does anyone know anything more about Megaro Zamac? Is there a background story?

Two or three years ago I built a CG model of the 4 legged ATAT clone from the range and recently I have been working on CG models of the 3 legged walker and the Zamac itself and would appreciate anything anyone can tell me relating to Megaro Zamac.

post-26-1116723578_thumb.jpg

IIRC Imai declared bankruptcy back in the mid 1980's (one of several times they have done so...course they didn't recover from the last time :p) But I think those kits were just a line to themselves as I've never found anything indicateing there was an anime that they were basied upon...most likely those kits are just recolor/kitbashed from parts of other Imai kits., then sold as new designs inorder for Imai to pay back thier creditors.....Course the pictured mechs look a bit like the design work of Ohata whom at the time was knee deep in Galvion

An old thread with some info on Megaro Zamac

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...hl=megaro+zamac

Thanks Hellohikaru, I guess I missed that thread, it pretty much confirms what I thought. I had certainly noticed the difference in design styles between the first five humanoid robot kits and the later four.

My own searches on Google had turned up both the Run Valam models in that other thread and the 3D art that Honneamise found was actually mine, my first rendition of the Dha Gards done back in 2002.

• 5 months later...
An old thread with some info on Megaro Zamac

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...hl=megaro+zamac

Thanks Hellohikaru, I guess I missed that thread, it pretty much confirms what I thought. I had certainly noticed the difference in design styles between the first five humanoid robot kits and the later four.

My own searches on Google had turned up both the Run Valam models in that other thread and the 3D art that Honneamise found was actually mine, my first rendition of the Dha Gards done back in 2002.

297537[/snapback]

Every once in a year I google "megaro Zamac" and so I found this thread at last! Cool- now I know who created the amazing 3D Dha Gard but THESE renderings are even better!

The Megaro Zamac looks soo good with all the panel lines, little details and the glazed head - great work Mechmaster. I´m surprised that you chose these rather obscure designs for your artwork, I wonder if there is ANY other artist who has ever dealt with these mechas apart from the box art artist back in ´82 or ´83.

Mechmaster I´m very impressed by your work! Are these the only renderings you made or have you got some other Zamac- images to share? I´d love to see more of these.....