Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

I recently "discovered" Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou (Record of a shopping trip to Yokohama). It's a manga, which has been running, serialized, for almost 12 years, in "Afternoon" magazine, has had four OAV episodes, and which seems to be quite obscure in the US. Oddly enough, I find it to be one of the best Manga I've ever read.

It's a manga that's both incredibly vivid in its imagery and brilliant in its simplicity. The characters in it are just so incredibly likeable. The only comparison I can think of is Azumanga Daioh, in which simply watching the characters act is enjoyable. YKK is similar in that way. You're drawn into the lives of the characters, and simply looking at each panel is incredible. I don't think I've ever seen anything like YKK. I'd read it for the sole purpose of seeing the main character smile.

Are there any other fans of YKK here on MW? It's a series that may not appeal to many of the fans of series like Macross, being entirely devoid of action, conflict, or even much of a plotline. But, somehow, it's brilliant.

Scanslations of much of the manga can be found at ykk.misago.org.

I absolutely love this manga. I really wish more would get translated, as I'm going through serious withdrawal right now. It's a wonderful slice of life story set in a post appocolyptic setting where things are going out with a whimper rather than a bang. The atmosphere and feel to the whole thing is so meloncholy, yet the characters are very much alive. It's just awesome. Must... have... more...